Talk

Advanced search

Minecraft

(7 Posts)
jillyrg Thu 22-May-14 16:09:13

Can someone help me, my ds,7, has discovered all his friends are playing minecraft. I've put off installing this on the iPad but now he's desperate and I feel bad as all his friends have it.
Can anyone help me as I'm completely clueless, is minecraft safe? Which apps do you need? Can the kids run up bills buying things? It's a family ipad which we all use, please don't get too technical with the advise, lol. I don't gave a clue about minecraft, it sounds like a minefield.
Thanks for any advice.

learnermummy Thu 22-May-14 16:14:37

My 7 year old plays all the time too. I don't fully understand it but it's a bit like computerized lego in that they can build stuff and also mine for stuff. Just need the pocket edition app. No in app purchases as far as I know, but we have those turned off in iPad settings anyway. Enjoy! My son loves watching you tube videos of others playing it too. Obsessed!

jillyrg Thu 22-May-14 16:21:44

That's all I've let him do so far is you tube videos. I've tried to read up on it but I just don't get what it is I need to download there is soooo many apps, my friend says it's free and she turned off the internet on her sons ipad so that he can't talk to folk he doesn't know etc. I understand the concept of mining and building and it's like lego but don't get what it is I've to down load and if it's safe.

PassTheSherry Thu 22-May-14 16:22:09

My dd (nearly 7) likes a similar game called Exploration, which is like Minecraft, but no monsters or zombies, which apparently Minecraft has, and would freak her out. She just builds stuff.

She says she loves it, because it's like her own little world that she can walk around in, fly, explore, build. It's pure escapism, with a bit of creativity thrown in.

Spero Thu 22-May-14 16:31:18

I downloaded the game I think it cost £4.99, doesn't seem to be any in ap purchases. Daughter 9 loves it - there is a safe mode where you just build and then survival mode with zombies.

jillyrg Thu 22-May-14 16:38:29

Thanks spero

somekid Sun 02-Nov-14 23:11:07

internet saftey isnt an issue on device editions as you can only play with random is on LAN local area network but for that they uave to be connected to your WiFi so it is pretty safe.wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now