Talk

Advanced search

instagram - safest way to set up? googleplay etc?

(5 Posts)
iddybiddy Sat 08-Feb-14 12:38:37

I am caving in and allowing my dd to get instagram, on trial.
What is the "safest" way to do this? Setting it up through my google account but giving her own user name? Or what are the alternatives? She would be using it on her android phone.
And how can I monitor what's going on - is it by following her (in which case will I need to get instagram etc)?
I have held off giving her her own googleplay account on her phone - is it generally safe for kids to have their own googleplay account?
I am a bit clueless so want to check out how sensible parents in the know set things up!
I do know that we need to make sure her instagram account is private.
Thanks for any help!

shey02 Sun 23-Feb-14 23:49:52

Yes, follow her, but also a very frank conversation about what NOT to post up and/or say is a must. Children must realise that digital comments and photographs are 'public'. They must be very careful and very sensible at this age to cope with social media like this.

Blewitt Wed 05-Mar-14 08:54:51

How old is your daughter iddybiddy? My 10 yr old has asked too. Shes not pestered so the first no has been accepted for now! I was put off after spending a week with another 10 yr old who had an ipod, itouch, iphone and tablet (!) and spent a lot of her holiday on instagram. The cyber world really is a parenting minefield, I'm just entering the realms I feel.

PerfectlySculpturedHaHa Wed 05-Mar-14 09:09:48

Instagram rules say 13 I think. I'm sticking to that as it's the same for facebook and I don't want to set a precedent for ignoring the age in the rules as it might come back to bite me later. Dc is 12. Android phone, but mobile data switched off during school day when he's not with us, and no google play or google plus or similar yet. Just uses it as a phone out and on wifi at home (so far). Will lift restrictions gradually over the next couple of years, or that's the theory anyway!

PerfectlySculpturedHaHa Wed 05-Mar-14 09:11:21

Look at avast antivirus and antitheft (and there are prob others) as as well as all the antivirus stuff they also let you lock any app to require a passcode, so you can fix it so some can only be used when you're around to put the passcode in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now