Talk

Advanced search

is Roblox safe for under 12s?

(44 Posts)
whatintheworld Mon 30-Jul-12 22:07:06

does anyone have any experience of this website?

ChocChocPorridge Wed 19-Apr-17 20:13:43

Like flossy, mine are allowed to play with similar rules - including that I also check which games they're playing (and the xbox is in the room with us anyway), and that if I see or hear anything I don't like they have to immediately stop and do a different game.

I'm not completely convinced still, they do find some stuff that is well over the line, and I try to persuade them back to other games when I can.

robloxkiller Wed 19-Apr-17 20:04:57

Hey guys!!! Robloxkiller here. roblox is actually extremely child friendly. My son Caelin and Gavin are really into the game and even found thare future wife on their!!!!!!!!!! It started off with my son going to the roblox club!!! He get mad girls cause his character was super swole. now he is millionaire. xxddxdxdxdxddd!!!!

Lflossy88 Sat 15-Apr-17 10:24:01

My DD's 6 & 7 play (if they've been good). Both of thier accounts are on the highest setting of parental control so in the chat a lot of words are obscured, even their screen names if other people type them. You can also have it linked to your email as a parent which alerts you to anything untoward (not happened to me yet). Just go over a few rules with them:-

Don't tell anyone your real name
Don't tell anyone where you live ( think the chat settings block that too)
They are also not allowed to accept friend requests from strangers (if people are friends they can send private messages) but play with school friends and their cousins. grin

AwaywiththePixies27 Sat 15-Apr-17 10:04:33

user yes. The hack is a cheat/shortcut to the next stage. Not actual hacking.

I've never played the game myself. I just like to be informed of what my children are using.

AwaywiththePixies27 Sat 15-Apr-17 10:01:35

I've always found it fine and they're very proactive to bullies/trolls.

I've told DCs not to use the chatroom function, and I will and do check.
They send friend requests like facebook and you can only chat to those you've accepted I believe.
If anyone says anything bad to them, to not respond and to just report it. DS reported someone the other day who was being abusive to a group of them on an 'obby' (obstacle course in English) and the user was banned instantly.
The money thing, I think they 'earn' it with certain challenges, so monopoly money basically. DS once came downstairs and naively asked for my bank details, told him in no uncertain terms am I putting my bank details on there. Not because I think they're dodgy but DS has SNs and it wouldn't occur to him how much is enough and when to stop if that makes sense?

The only thing I will say it's it's incredibly addictive and I've limited screen time even further so they're not on it too much. Especially with DD. She's Yr 6 and Roblox won't help her pass her SATs!

I got talking to a school mum about this and saying how the kids love it her reply was "so does my husband!". grin

MrsWhirly Sat 15-Apr-17 09:48:17

What is it with all the 'teenage boys' on this thread?? Does anyone else find that strange? I have just stopped by DD9!from having this. I don't like the chat element.

user1489766987 Fri 17-Mar-17 16:13:03

Yes, roblox is safe for kids under 12,

user1488082038 Sun 26-Feb-17 04:12:12

My son is playing this game and it seems safe, but recently he asked me for my credit card because he wanted to "hack" the game. He said it was to get some kind of advantage in game. hackerbot.net/mmo/plus/327-roblox-rb I don't quite understand the issue, but I don't want my son to grow up being some hacker.

I guess he is just looking to cheat in the game, because I highly doubt that he is able to "hack" anything.

But definitively an issue to look out for.

Iceabod Fri 03-Feb-17 23:33:52

Hello, for those of you complaining about hearing swearing while playing roblox this is not roblox or the game makers doing. This is hackers using third party software and they are banned once caught. To fix this simply play roblox without sound. It doesn't happen often and is usually stopped within 4 days of a new hack being released.

As for whether or not roblox is safe for children, it's online. To that extent it's a site that relies heavily on user generated content. Your children should they play the game properly will most likely play the games that are most popular. These are harmless child friendly games. That said their is violence on roblox. not the kind you're thinking of and you can see videos on you tube of what I mean by this but it's very light cartoon violence such as being shot and flying through the air like a rag doll as apposed to seeing any blood or gore. Roblox is based around peoples creativity and that said you'll always find one or two idiots on the building games of roblox who think it's funny to build inappropriate things. Again this is rare and they are banned. Roblox is about as kid friendly as you can get but I would not recomend it for anyone under 10. If you allow your children to watch the simpsons or cartoon network, they won't see or hear anything beyond the confines of those shows unless a hacker who is not affiliated with roblox / its community comes on. The roblox community does an excellent job of preventing hackers in the form of players with special privileges who can kick / ban people from games and a filtration system that whitelists anything remotely offensive except from the toughest hacks.

Styxsteel Fri 03-Feb-17 17:04:58

Knifes-kills- no email address required to join- no age limit-
No monitoring- not suitable for under 13's.

Shittalkingmom Sat 28-Jan-17 10:59:27

*I had no problems with this i let them go on it all hours of the day but they have to do their chores before going on the computer.
I would recommend this to all mums and buy them some robux as it is 'really boring' without it*

user1485024626 Sat 21-Jan-17 18:56:57

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

DanielaMorris5 Thu 29-Dec-16 06:08:26

My parental control software ( from www.refog.com/parental-monitoring-software.html ) allows this website and honestly I see nothing criminal in it. My kids and little cousins play it together sometimes. The only thing I don't allow playing it more than 45 mins per day. I always have to control time as children can't stop playing it.

SteadyOnRoblox Tue 13-Dec-16 19:59:36

Hello yourusername12333333,

The removal of tix/ tickets was a ROBLOX wide update, and they are removed entirely throughout the entire platform. If you are having trouble buying Robux, why not learn to build and code! smile That way you can make robux from gamepass sales.

Roblox is a great tool for an introduction to both programming and game design, two things which are likely going to be very important in the future of the current generation. Please don't moan about the removal of tickets as this wasn't only for Roblox's own financial gain.

If you want to learn scripting, i'm sure this group would be happy to help, also the Roblox Wiki is a great resource for learning LUA (the programming language used on Roblox)
www.roblox.com/groups/group.aspx?gid=26&rbxp=15496602

SteadyOnRoblox Tue 13-Dec-16 19:53:54

Hey! You can change your age on Roblox. Under 13s are heavily moderated, as in they can only say a very limited vocabulary of words. If your child is coming across explicit language, there is a Roblox report system in the menu.

To change your age, go to settings or click this link:
www.roblox.com/my/account?rbxp=15496602

user1480251259 Sun 27-Nov-16 12:59:38

Alright so I am an Roblox player and the games are and not BUT if you play dumb games you'll get bad stuff maybe some cuss words like roblox high school that has weird and bad stuff don't play it.You have some ODERS on it Online Daters.So please check to see if it has any bad stuff like for an example clubs most of the time have bad stuff so its good and its not depending on what you play.

yourusername12333333 Sun 18-Sep-16 21:13:35

Yes No. It allows swearing. Do not let ANY KIDS play. I used to play until I saw a blog post saying "Turning 13+ and Goodbye tix" basically saying "We've turned 13+ so we're removing tix because everyone can afford robux at that age." Basically DON'T let kids play.

sdd1 Thu 15-Sep-16 16:01:17

yes it its am 10 got a chat lock smile

cannoodle Sun 14-Aug-16 14:56:33

lololo everyone swears and calls each other noobs and 5 yr olds and there are a bunch of scammers XDD dont put your 9 yr old kid into roblox LOL ive played a lot so i know so much, there is not a single game for ages under _10_XD with a simple click of a button your kid can buy something for like 200 dollars lololololo

Fuckface69 Mon 06-Jun-16 17:45:52

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Purplerainbow2 Thu 12-May-16 06:26:20

My dc were playing this on iPad and loved it.... I didn't like it due to the chat, it was constant and couldn't get rid of it OP. My eldest, despite knowing to not get involved was chatting all the time. Also the other day there was an update, it is now a 12+ so thankfully as the iPads are restricted not allowed above the 9+ games smile

IloveCliveBixby Thu 12-May-16 06:03:48

The Roblox gamers commenting on this thread sound like my ds! He is 11 and loves Roblox. He makes games and generally always seems very busy with it. I've heard him talk about "online daters" being banned from and stuff, and to me it seems like there's a very strong moral code within his roblox community. He's learned heaps of new skills with it, including programming, game design and negotiation. Other users often go to him for advice or help and he enjoys this too. It's a confidence boost.

I'm a fan. As with everything though, you need to know what your child is up to, and have limits with screen time.

Shakmom Thu 12-May-16 05:03:25

I have deleted this game and blocked it from all iPads and computers. Thinking it was kid friendly I let my 7 year old play. Then I found some very inappropriate games. One category labeled sex, which had Lego like characters with very enlarged privates doing inappropriate things! I was not happy. And just before that the game labeled bloodfest, need I say more. I do not need this type of garbage games for my kids.

SteadyOnRoblox Fri 08-Apr-16 21:53:19

Hello, my names Luke and I'm 14 years old. I've been playing roblox for around the last 5 years (since I was 9). Ok so, I have read through this talk or however they are called on this site and reading what other users have said they haven't really given roblox a good rep.

ODing (Online Dating)
One of the main things you need to look out for is online dating, it's not allowed on roblox but it DOES happen. However when it does happen this is always between roblox characters and as long as they stay within the parameters of the game they should be fine and safe from anyone who isn't who they say they are. You probably should make sure that they don't have a Skype or anything like that. Roblox is well made so that it is almost impossible to share addresses or phone numbers because these are all censored and if you register as a person under 13 then you can not talk fully (by this I mean that anything that could possibly be seen as an insult or as a way of sharing private information is replaced by "#").

The majority of the roblox community frowns upon Online Dating especially people like me who have been on roblox for a long time. You should encourage your children to join roblox "groups". Get them to join a "ro-nation" which are nations within roblox that are managed in a similar way to a real life nation (obviously with a lot less complex decisions) but they have branches like Police, Army, National Assembly or Congress, Intelligence, etc. Just like a real country would. In my second year of Roblox I joined a group called Cuba and I haven't left it ever since then. You'll find that joining a ro-nation will give your children feelings of achievement and in my experience it has CERTAINLY improved my maturity and grammar skills as most groups are very mature and use good grammar.

Things you have been talking about which are related to moderation on roblox
So anything you have been talking about where there are sounds or explicit visual images comes because something has either slipped through roblox censors (people who manually go through every audio and every image) or there is a "hacker" or "exploiter" who has purposefully messed up the gaming experience of others, these are very rare and Roblox is usually very good at fixing these problems.

An explanation of roblox and what you should encourage your kids to do

Roblox is described as a game by players and by people talking about it, but in reality what you see your children playing are games within a game, minigames if you like. However all roblox games are created by the users, so people like me and your children smile. You should encourage your children to learn to code in Roblox LUA which is a programming language which Roblox uses and you should also encourage them to build in Roblox too. The building program is called Roblox studio and it automatically comes with the download of the roblox player. When your child is building or "scripting" (programming) you should encourage them to create their own things, because there are "free models" on roblox which are objects created by others. Encourage your children to use these for inspiration and in terms of scripting for teaching themselves. However, you should make sure that they don't just take a lot of free models and place them into a game and remark that they have made a game. Because this is a false sense of achievement for them. Creating something from scratch will help them to create nicer and smoother looking games.

Online dating usually only occurs in roleplay games, to name a few (not to give them a bad rep but...) :

www.roblox.com/games/9689581/ROBLOX-High-School
www.roblox.com/games/367959224/ROBLOXian-Waterpark
www.roblox.com/games/114890690/Life-in-Paradise

They are usually games with characters with a very thin body in the thumbnails.

However you should allow them to play these games because at this stage this is probably where they'd get all their friends on roblox from. For me, I only have a few real friends that I have shared my skype with and I have known them for usually over a year. However if they are under 13 then they should definitely not be sharing details like their skype to other roblox players, make sure they stay within roblox when talking to other players. To this day, I haven't talked to anyone I have met in roblox through skype voice chat or shared a picture of me in real life with them. However a lot of the people I know do talk but if your children are talking on roblox make sure they are around 14+ because then they should know what they are doing.

Feel free to give my roblox account name to your children and you should probably make an account yourself to test it out, talk to your kids about what they've done that day on roblox so that you can keep an eye on them but also dont sit watching over their shoulder while they play. However encourage them to show you things they've built or scripted.

Here's my roblox account:

www.roblox.com/users/15496602/profile

DONT PLAY MY "VERY PEACEFUL PLACE" GAME BECAUSE IT'S A JUMPSCARE WHERE A SCARY FACE POPS UP

smile -- SteadyOn

CRC105105 Mon 04-Apr-16 14:30:17

Hello, and thank you for this information. My seven year old daughter loves Roblox, and just last night, she was writing, and "chatting" with other kids, and really has been improving her spelling, reading, etc - my husband and I have been very pleased. However, last night, a song was playing which had the B-word in it, the SH-word in it, and my husband ran to me and said he had just heard the f-bomb. This is unacceptable! She has her real age in her profile. How can this music make it through? Is rating the game the best way to get this trash off the app?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now