Talk

Advanced search

Facebook "rewards kids" for talking to strangers?

(3 Posts)
CHC74 Thu 29-Sep-11 12:34:51

Just seen this interesting article on Twitter - What do you think? Is it alarmist or does the writer make a valid point?

www.prfire.co.uk/internet/how-facebook-rewards-kids-for-talking-to-strangers-77407.html

Summary: Speaking to a group of foster carers and social care professionals from North Wales and the North West on Thursday, online safety expert Charles Conway said that social networking website Facebook “rewards children with virtual cash” for talking to strangers on the web. Users of so-called “Social Games” such as Farmville, Mafia Wars and Pet Society are rewarded for connecting with other players, even if they don’t know them in “real” life, exposing children to a very real risk of contact with murderers, rapists and paedophiles.

maxcliffordslovechild Thu 29-Sep-11 16:14:39

I play Facebook games and have hundreds of on-line friends through them, even I as an adult get the odd perv who started off really nice. This is one of the reasons I don't allow my DD8 to play games on there, even though (so she tells me) all her friends have Facebook accounts. BTW any pervy posters are deleted and blocked!

CHC74 Thu 29-Sep-11 17:26:04

Hi maxcliffordslovechild - Do you use "lists" or other filters to control what your online "friends" see?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now