Talk

Advanced search

Am I being overprotective?

(8 Posts)
sotiredandfedup Tue 29-Mar-11 13:40:17

My EH has asked me if I have any concerns about him putting pictures of our son on his facebook page. It's good of him to ask I suppose, but I know he will probably go ahead and do it anyway, regardless of my response.

DS is 5. I just feel uncomfortable about having pictures of him on the internet. You hear such horrible stories about weirdo's viewing even innocent pictures of children online and even if EH sets his security settings so only his friends can see the pictures, I still feel uneasy about it. Am I being ridiculous? I just don't see why EH feels he has to showcase our son on facebook. Any thoughts welcome please.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 29-Mar-11 22:47:43

What are your fears about "weirdo's viewing even innocent pictures of children"?

mam Tue 29-Mar-11 22:50:55

No you are not being overprotective.

Tee2072 Wed 30-Mar-11 08:16:01

Yes, you are being overprotective.

Do you put a bag over his head when he leaves the house? Or never let him leave the house?

The internet is a way of life now. You are all over it, I promise you. And it won't hurt your son if 'weirdos' are viewing his pictures as he'll never know and neither will you.

BarbieGrows Fri 15-Apr-11 16:34:50

If you are ex's friend on facebook you can see everything he puts up there, and who his friends are.

AmyIzandZack Sat 21-May-11 15:22:08

NO you're not being overprotective. I won't let my EH do it either. I also had a minor fit when I found out my Dad had photos of DD on his 'pen-friends' site in China. I just don't wish my childrens images to be on the internet. I don't see this as the same as going out in public etc as Barbie suggests. People there don't know my DD's name or who her father is etc. This is private, personal information I don't want on the net.

ChippingIn Sat 21-May-11 15:44:10

AmyIzaandZack - why do you get to tell your exH what he is and isn't allowed to do? Is he not their parent too? hmm

Sotired - you can say you would prefer he didn't but as they are his children as well you don't really get to have the final say in what he does. Why not tell him why you don't like the idea of it. Be convincing rather than controlling.

mumeeee Sat 18-Jun-11 14:36:06

You are being a bit over protective. My niece often puts pictures of her DS ( our great nephew) on Facebook. Only her grinds can see the photos and it's a great way of us seeing him growing up as we don't see him often.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now