Talk

Advanced search

Mobile phone thefts - 1 in 5 - should I let my son have one?

(6 Posts)
InTheRed Fri 12-Nov-10 17:21:07

I've just read on www.outofyourhands.com/site/ that one in five children aged 10 - 16 have their mobile phones stolen!

I've got three children, 10, 13 and 16, the youngest doesn't have a mobile phone and I'm thinking that maybe I shouldn't get him one either.

Am I over reacting?

ANTagony Fri 12-Nov-10 17:23:35

You can buy a nice phone with camera, ability to text and make calls on a PAYG network for £10 at Asda. Probably the same as a watch. If he will make do with this I'd say the risk is not to high.

scurryfunge Fri 12-Nov-10 17:25:57

They are more likely to break or lose them than have them stolen. Pay as you go cheapies from the supermarket are the best for younger children.

InTheRed Wed 17-Nov-10 10:19:23

Thanks for your suggestion re the PAYG option, perhaps I'm over reacting after all. I'll give it some more thought.

InTheRed Wed 15-Dec-10 15:58:09

Guess what! Daughter texted me to say that some guy walked into the boys changing room and stole 15 mobile phones!

I emailed the school with the link to the resources but no reply as yet...hmmmmm.

MissMisa Thu 30-Dec-10 20:44:39

Yes, I'd suggest getting a cheap and functional phone for around £10. You can get those with a basic camera function and the ability to call and text for that price these days. As mentioned, they are available from supermarkets, I had one from Tesco that was very durable and latest years (and because it was cheap, no-one wanted to steal it!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: