Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

Older teen disclosed abuse

(7 Posts)
ginorwine Thu 07-Dec-17 23:07:21

My close friends Dh and herself have divorced ,and after this the older teen has said that her father sexually abused her .

The sibling has been interviewed - they are younger and were unable to substantiate witnessing anything .

The young woman in question says that she recalled the abuse suddenly .

Following interview the father says it did not happen and now the police will not be able to prosecute due to lack of evidence .

Our families are friends of many years .

I don't know how to support if I get called upon to , and I will see the dh accused of this also as we live nearby .

. It s innocent until proven guilty - but I must admit I'm unsure about the managing of this .....my natural view would be to always believe the child / young person .

The suggestion it seems from family members is that it may possibly be false memory . She has a history of depression and some anxiety in her disposition .

I am concerned about the persons feelings - that what she believes to be true has not been addressed due to lack of evidence and how this may impact on her - not feeling that she is validated , her experience not proved etc, no conviction etc .

. On one hand there is a distressed young person who fully thinks this happened . On the other a father that says it did not . The dm feels she has no signs that it was happening and indeed some of the examples re time and place do not fit at all - there were no signs of anxiety or distress in her younger or recent years are her thoughts ..... she is not a person who would not face something like this she would certainly put her child first .

I really want to support the situation if I can in any way if I can but feel very unsure of what I could possibly do other than listen . I'm not central to the situation but visit the household often and really care about the family .

Given the the situation I'm unsure what I can do as I do feel out of my depth but feel desperate to help or give comfort if I can .

Im concerned for eg if we talk to the dh the young person will then feel we are condoning a behevoir she believes has happened and I don't want to cause her any further distress for example in any way .
If she does ever speak to me about it I will have to say that I believe her experience .
The young person will be offered counselling via a survivors .
I've never come across a situation like this before and I would appreciate any advice or guidance .
I guess the support she will receive will be really important but I want to be sensitive and supportive if I'm needed in any way .

ginorwine Thu 07-Dec-17 23:28:29

Have just found nspcc guidance re historical abuse - it's a good source .

ginorwine Fri 08-Dec-17 09:39:17

Bump

ragged Fri 08-Dec-17 09:45:31

You can't ever know the truth on that info.

ginorwine Fri 08-Dec-17 09:53:57

It's not so much the truth
It's how I can support her with her feelings that it's not gone anywhere etc but yes that's true .

ragged Fri 08-Dec-17 10:51:52

I wonder if that "I support your feelings" approach will satisfy anyone. If you didn't explicitly say you believed me I'd resent you (whether I was him or her).

Most people would withdraw from the whole family b/c it's Lose-Lose.

ginorwine Fri 08-Dec-17 16:04:47

I totally get what you are saying
But I really care for them all having known them 20 years it wd feel bad to withdraw . Thanks for response - little place to discuss in rl

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: