Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

Could this be connected to OCD?

(5 Posts)
Tenroundswithmiketyson Thu 26-Oct-17 15:02:41

My 13 year old dd has a diagnosis of OCD and emetophobia. She has had a couple of CAmHS appointments and is now back on a waiting list for CBT. They really helped with the intrusive thoughts but the obsessions and compulsions are getting worse again.

One thing I didn't bring up at the consultations but wish I had was her tendency to do completely inappropriate things at the worst time - eg wanting to do baking an hour before dinner, runnng the cold tap for a drink every time I've filled the sink with hot soapy water, needing to change her outfit when we're all sitting in the car ready to go out, annoying her brother as soon as I've started cooking or just stepped in the shower, fixing herself all manner of snacks while I'm trying to cook or clear up, asking for help with homework, again, when I'm trying to watch something on the stove, wanting me to help or chat to me while I'm on the phone - eg on Friday when trying to talk to washing machine repair man

Tonight an almighty row ensued because she wouldn't come to dinner because she was watching a programme on catchup and wouldn't pause and watch it later. When she did come in, she started eating grapes while her dinner was there on the table.

She has pretty much always done this apart from brief reprieve beween 8-10 and I know it's dleiberate. When I ask her why, she doesn't seem to know evwn though, most of the time, she's v open with me.

Delancy Fri 27-Oct-17 22:27:58

PDA? Pathological demand avoidance.
I don't know much about it however.

Delancy Fri 27-Oct-17 22:29:30

Or about OCD.
Hopefully someone more knowledgable will be along soon.

Neuroticwoman Fri 27-Oct-17 22:59:50

I don't know - both my kids do this to an extent - don't seem to have an awareness of anyone else's priorities tbh.
Not that this makes it any easier for you or her sad

Ragusa Mon 30-Oct-17 19:11:14

DD does this stuff. Doesn't have OCD but I suspect might qualify for an ADHD diagnosis. These things are often comorbid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now