Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

How can I get DD 16 to wash? Asperger.

(3 Posts)
PomonaPalace Mon 16-Oct-17 13:11:21

We’ve had a very difficult few years with DD who has aspergers, anxiety, OCD, depression. Is on medications and under CAMHS etc. Really struggling to get her to look after personal hygiene, she won’t wash, bathe, shower, wash hair and hides dirty clothes to wear. The smell lingers in every room and she seems to be enjoying the power of refusing. Says she can’t smell anything and will have a bath when she feels ready for one. Everything is a battle.

FAkenameforthis Mon 16-Oct-17 13:14:28

When my brother was that age, my parents banned him from being in communal rooms or seeing friends until he showered and had clean clothes. He enjoyed Xbox but that was in the lounge and that was enough of a motivator for him.

I don’t know if that was a good idea, would work for you etc but did work for him. He has aspergers.

tempstamos Sun 22-Oct-17 13:01:45

My eldest has OCD and anxiety (suggested Aspergers when she was younger though she was never diagnosed and doesn’t seem as likely now) so I sympathise. I was still bathing with her and helping her wash her hair at 16 as it caused her too much stress and anxiety to do alone. Just keep keep with it, try rewarding or offering to help her, and try not to show her you are frustrated. Hope it gets easier for you allflowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now