Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

I'm certain 12yo dd has depression

(3 Posts)
mayaknew Sun 18-Jun-17 18:54:44

She's always had some anxiety but this has got increasingly severe over the past 6mths-1yr mostly due to bullying at school and our cramped living conditions. So much so she is having recurrent migraines and can get so anxious she has days of persistent vomiting.

She is extremely irritable, very sensitive, she is lethargic lacks motivation and has a disrupted sleep - sometimes waking up crying.

She also is in a very negative frame of mind ... she sees the negative in everything and struggles to see the positive.

She is finding it difficult to function.. her organisational skills and concentration are low as is her ability to remember information.

I've explained all this for a long time as hormonal and just the fact she is becoming a teenager... but recently I have begun to believe that she has depression.

She has been referred to camhs for her anxiety anyway and is on their waiting list so hopefully that won't be too long.

But I don't really know how to help her in the meantime.

Gunpowder Sun 18-Jun-17 21:34:32

Your poor DD. It's a little thing but do you think mindfulness might help? There are various books and CDs. I do little things like thinking of three things I am thankful for everyday (can be tiny things like a nice cup of tea) which help too.

mayaknew Tue 20-Jun-17 22:19:11

Yeah maybe I will look into it thank you. I'm willing to try anything at this pointsmile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: