Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

How to help and support my 15yo who's friend had just died

(2 Posts)
mygirllollipop Wed 10-May-17 19:02:16

My almost 16yo DD came home from school today with the news that one of her good friends has died.
The school held an assembly and sent a letter home.
The circumstances of how she died are uncertain however it is entirely possible she took her own life as she was quite troubled, it is also possible she died due to a medical condition she had.

I have told DD we are here if she wants to talk or if she doesn't but just wants company and also that she can have all the space she needs.
I was just wondering if anyone knew of and could recommend any websites or anything that helps teens deal with death and potentially suicide.
Thanks

Blossom789 Mon 15-May-17 21:19:33

So sorry to hear that news. Sounds like you're doing the right things. The young minds website is great and has a section aimed at young people. I did a quick google search and it looks like there are a few websites specifically around loss and suicide that may be suitable.. have a look, you'll know which style will help DD best. Often if there has been a suicide at school, the school will bring in counsellors to support students.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now