Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

Referral to CAMHS, what to expect?

(4 Posts)
ViolentDelights Fri 21-Apr-17 14:08:07

Aside from a potentially long wait that is.

Gp agreed to make a referral for 6 year old ds today for his anxiety, anger, sensory and concentration issues.

This is all completely new to me and I feel very nervous myself about the process - and worried I'm just going to be told that my parenting is at fault! If anyone has any experiences to share I would be grateful.

Cammysmoma Fri 21-Apr-17 19:10:14

Hey, my little brother went to CAMHS, I'm pretty sure he still goes. He is 8 and he tells them more than what he tells my dad sometimes. My dad said it's helped in some respects but ALWAYS says the school could do more, some teachers just not understanding of his position and just think he's a 'bad kid'

Sorry I can't be of any help x

LynetteScavo Fri 21-Apr-17 19:21:46

IME they ask how you think they can help you..so be prepared to say what you want from them. I put DS in front of too many psychologists and did "what do you think?"

I only started to get somewhere when I said "what I want is you to....."

Blossom789 Sat 22-Apr-17 20:03:23

They'll do an initial assessment which will cover presenting difficulties, history of same difficulties, developmental history, family background, significant events, how DS is at school educationally and behaviourally. They'll also ask what you're hoping for which could be for him to be less angry. Then at end you'll think together about best way forwards what they can offer or what other services may be able to help with.

There seems to be quite a few things going on do you want to describe what he's like. There may be a few things we can suggest whilst you wait for the appointment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now