Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

If your child was diagnosed with anxiety at 9ish did they get better or worse?

(4 Posts)
TheCountessofFitzdotterel Wed 12-Apr-17 13:01:56

Just that, really.
Do they grow out of it / learn coping skills, or is it something that tends to worsen as they hit the demands of SATS, secondary school and puberty?

Lizzy421 Wed 19-Apr-17 15:46:49

My son's anxiety got significantly better when he started high school. His Primary school were prepping me for the worst as they didn't think he'd be able to cope but he's loved the change and seems to have developed much better coping skills now. He probably struggled the most between 8-10 years. Hope this helps.

CaptainBraandPants Wed 19-Apr-17 15:50:45

DS1 was dreadful aged 10/11. Starting secondary school was a real strain.
However, he is now year 10 and doing well. He is coping pretty well. He has something like 97.something % attendance this year, as opposed to 85% in year 7.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Fri 21-Apr-17 08:30:40

Thank you so much, Lizzy and Captainbra.
That's really good to hear.
This has been going on since he turned 8 and I used to be much more hopeful that he would cope better at secondary because it seemed more structured and suited to his style, but recently I have started to doubt myself, not least because he has SATS next year and I can't imagine him coping with that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now