Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

Hoarding and stealing

(8 Posts)
neveradullmoment99 Tue 04-Apr-17 15:20:17

I have a dd who is 10. She hoards and does for as long as I can remember. She hoards everything and anything - food, stones, bits of wrappers, none of which have any purpose as far as I can see. I have tried to talk to her about why she keeps these things and she gets beside herself when you try and throw anything out. She also gets very embaressed that she has 'kept' these things as very often she fills her drawers with things/pockets of jackets which are occasionally washed or tidied. She has HUGE tantrums, screaming and bawling over anything that she has that belongs to her, even if she no longer fits into it. She seems unable to reason out getting rid of stuff. I have tried to talk to her about it but she continues doing it. She also takes things that do not belong to her. The things she takes are not in themselves valuable but are blue tac, paper fasteners, cardboard bookmarks that she found at school but nevertheless do not belong to her. I really dont know what to do about this and dont want to make a huge thing about it. So could use some advice on handling it please. Thanks.

JonesyAndTheSalad Wed 05-Apr-17 00:16:14

It sounds like an anxiety issue OP. Is she an anxious child?

neveradullmoment99 Wed 05-Apr-17 06:59:10

Thanks for responding. Yes, she is quite an anxious girl.

neveradullmoment99 Wed 05-Apr-17 07:01:03

Have you any idea how i could help her?

treaclesoda Wed 05-Apr-17 07:03:15

I'd take her to see your GP and try to get a referral to CAHMS.

neveradullmoment99 Wed 05-Apr-17 07:09:32

She also has a little sister and there is constant sibling rivarly. They share a room and her little sister is a strong character. My 10 year old constantly teases and annoys her but i am well aware that it is reciprocated by the little one. They are horrible to one another.
She has also changed school but to be honest, she did these things long before she went there so I dont think that the change is the catalyst for any anxiety although undoubtedly, it cant of helped.

neveradullmoment99 Wed 05-Apr-17 07:14:29

She is young for her class. She was an early entrant and most of the children in her class are nearly a year older. She is incredibly bright [ top of her class in reading and maths according to her teacher] and on the surface always gives the impression of a little girl that isnt phased by things but at home she is completely different. Maybe being anxious stems from the fact that although she is bright, her emotions have never caught up with her intellectual maturity if you know what i mean. I dont think she was emotionally ready for school when she started early and although is very able, lags in this way.

I know about CAHMS but i seriously doubt they will help her as i know they are cutting back due to budget cuts.

neveradullmoment99 Wed 05-Apr-17 07:17:27

I work in education and have seen children with more cases of anxiety being turned down from CAHMs even although they have been referred unfortunately. However, i will talk to my doctor and look up their website.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now