Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

Selective Mutism

(4 Posts)
JudasInTheTescoVan Tue 28-Mar-17 14:33:43

DS(8) clearly has selective Mutism. It has been evident for a couple of years however as I'm always with him I had sort of taken over being his voice. I had noticed more recently that it was affecting him at his after school clubs and after school voiced their own concerns I've realised that I really do need to try and help him with it. I'm going to get a gp appointment initially but then I'm led to believe it is a fairly long process through Cahms. I've looked online for support type groups but I haven't found any uk based ones. I wondered if anyone was able to point me in the direction of any that I have missed please. Thank you.

JonesyAndTheSalad Wed 29-Mar-17 01:01:33

Your GP can refer you for speech therapy. I saw a programme where a little girl had help and it worked wonderfully.

Out2pasture Wed 29-Mar-17 01:21:57

there was an episode on the tv series born naughty season 1 which involved a little girl with selective mutism. check youtube.
the speech therapist was great. i'm sure you could apply some of the concepts while you wait for a referral and treatment.

Itsokaytobeshy Mon 03-Jul-17 22:13:11

Hopefully not too late to reply to this! There is a UK based selective mutism group called SMIRA. They have a very active closed Facebook group where you can obtain very detailed help. Even if you are not a Facebook user I would recommend signing up just to join this group.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now