Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

dads suicide

(5 Posts)
omg12345 Fri 17-Mar-17 10:11:56

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone else here has any experience of children coping with suicide. My daughter is 8 and my son is 4. Sadly my DH and kids father died by suicide about 1 year ago. DS was so young he couldn't really understand and seems to be very happy in himself now. DD took it bad but has come on somewhat since through play therapy. She was always a worrier and can be really fearful at times of any new situations. I guess what I'm wondering is if anyone has been or knows of someone who has been through something similar and how did they cope during their teenage years

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Fri 17-Mar-17 18:10:20

My dd witnessed her father's attempted suicide when she was 10, she was later diagnosed with PTSD.
She has dipped back and forth into counselling, we pay privately to get fast access, but she still suffers with anxiety and is back seeing counsellor next week.
I really hope as she gets older it may become less of an issue.
Really sorry about your loss, did the children witness his suicide?

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Fri 17-Mar-17 18:11:14

My daughter is now 13.

pinkhorse Fri 17-Mar-17 18:23:48

Ds's dad had his mum commit suicide when he was 6. Obviously it affected him but not that anyone would notice. He was offered counselling but never took it.

omg12345 Fri 17-Mar-17 18:34:06

Thanks so much for the replies. No they didn't witness or see him but were both very close to their dad. I was advised from the get go to be honest with my daughter in a child appropriate manner and accepted this advice. She has never asked many questions about the suicide thankfully. Can't imagine how difficult it must have been for your daughter to witness her dads death, it's great you were able to get her support. Sometimes I wonder if it was in my DS favour that he was only 3 when his dad died. I guess only the future can answer this

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now