Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

What will help

(2 Posts)
Iloveantiques Wed 01-Mar-17 13:32:07

I have a 12 yr old daughter (yr 7) who is extremely anxious. She has the occasional panic attack but day to day just struggles with feelings of distress, anxiety and guilt. She has several on going physical symptoms that in the absence of any other explanation I am assuming are stress related. It doesn't help that one of her anxieties is her health. She doesn't want to go to the doctor and has a panic attack at the suggestion.

She's ok ish at school after a very difficult start. She has friends and is involved in extra curricular activities so I don't think school will be able to offer extra support. She did do some one to one resilience type work in the first term.

From what I've heard even if she got a referral to CAMHS would take months so I'm happy to look for private therapy but I don't know what I should be looking for in a counsellor / therapist.

What helped with anxiety? CBT? there's a lot of local provision and it's expensive so I want to get it right.

Bex134 Mon 20-Mar-17 09:41:33

Have a look at the BACP website all counsellors will need to be accredited or BPS for a psychologist. A lot of people call themselves counsellors but aren't.

There's lots of options now including online support which may help to get your daughter on board whilst you wait for camhs.

There's no harm in calling camhs for their advice and ask about current waiting times in your area.. might help your decision.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: