Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

6yr old ds overly emotional

(4 Posts)
Pointlesscrap Thu 09-Feb-17 20:42:49

My ds is 6yrs old and has recently been diagnosed with severe understanding difficulties (did tests at school) thing is he cries and gets overly emotional over everything and I mean everything. For example, if his brother walks past him and smiles he's starts to cry and whinge 'that why did he look at me?' Or if someone has a toy he wants that's it he will cry like the whole world is against him. It's a constant battle with trying to stop his outbursts. Any advice out there as to what I can do to help him 'control' his emotions?

mymilisbatshit Fri 10-Feb-17 17:46:20

Keep reassuring him and build up his self esteem and confidence.try not to make a big deal out of the stuff he makes a big deal out of just try and stay calm. Most importantly hang in there.

Msqueen33 Fri 10-Feb-17 17:52:00

Are there any constants that upset him? If so maybe try a social story. My dd is six and has autism so her view of the world is quite different and she lacks theory of mind. Maybe a social story to explain that people smile when they are happy to see you, happy when they get a toy etc etc.

Pointlesscrap Mon 13-Feb-17 16:57:20

Thank you for the replies ladies

Msqueen there isn't anything in particular that makes him like that he just decides he's upset and starts with the crying and whinging which is very draining. However, recently I've started to make light of the situations and I whip my phone out and tell him I'm going to take a photo of his whinging face this makes him laugh and instantly stop. Don't know if it's the right way to do things but it's working for now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now