Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

self harm and panic attacks DD 13

(3 Posts)
MarthaSF321 Mon 16-Jan-17 13:05:42

My DD has anxiety, panic attacks at school, under Camhs, being referred to Early Intervention.
She has now started cutting herself.
I am at my wits end to know what to do.
Take her out of school?
Watch her every minute of the day?
Be angry because she's destroying her life and mine?
Be Calm and make out like it's not a big deal?
I can't think straight anymore, just waiting for the next dreadful thing to happen.

Reow Fri 20-Jan-17 13:35:45

I sympathise so much. Make sure she knows that you are taking her very seriously and are here to protect her. Have you asked her what she thinks she needs?

I am now 32 and had panic attacks since I was young. I felt like noone was taking me seriously and acted like it wasn't a big deal, and I would grow out of it. I think if you do not have panic attacks it's difficult to understand just how terrifying and awful it is, but in my case my family brushing it under the carpet turned into severe agoraphobia, social anxiety, drinking to forget it and hardly leaving my house. It wasn't until I was 26 that I started trying to fix it myself and had a lot of therapy. Don't be angry with her. I promise you that severe anxiety is not a choice. It can be unbearable.

Can you get her with a therapist that can see her at least once or twice a week for an hour or two each time? I went private in the end. I felt like I had to. Other things that helped me: yoga, meditation, venlafaxine, CBT, and people being gentle with me.

Does she have sensory issues? I had no idea for a long time that loud noises, crowds of people, bright lights, and hot or cold temperatures were contributing to my anxiety. Some people are just very much more socially fragile than other and more susceptible to anxiety triggers that other people dont even notice.

Good Luck :-)

Thisrabbitthatrabbit Fri 20-Jan-17 13:41:31

My parents were able to go on a day course when they through this with me. I'm sure that CAHMs suggested it to them, it really helped my parents understand and in turn helped my recovery. Can you ask if anything like this is available for you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now