Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

Should I say yes to child psychologist?

(5 Posts)
user1483437093 Tue 03-Jan-17 10:07:04

My nephew is 8 years old and 10 weeks ago he had an allergic reaction which required the use of his epi pen and the subsequent calling of an abulance. The night was very traumatic for him as he thought he was going to die. Since that night he has gone from having no care in the world to worrying about everything. Mainly about his health. He wakes at night saying that his throat is closing over, he's convinced that he is going blind, he even believes that he has the plague, he fell off his bike and bruised his side and talks constantly about the worry that he has damaged his spleen. The point is if he hears about anything medical he becomes obsessed that he is suffering from it. I'd really like some advice from all the parents on here who have had a similar experience. Would you accept the opportunity for a psychiatrist to assess him. He is only 8! My worry is that they will try and prescribe him medicines that will zap his zest for life.

SloanePeterson Tue 03-Jan-17 10:11:53

Honestly, as this your nephew it's not really your choice. Poor little lad though. I had a medical emergency in the autumn that I'm sure has left me with PTSD but I'm not really ready or willing to talk much about it to a professional, though I've been referred. Child mental health services are simply awful in this country so it would be a damn hard slog to even get him seen ime. He needs a lot of reassurance I think, and the opportunity to perhaps have what happened to him explained properly. I was advised to contact PALS at the hospital I was at to organise a debrief from the people who attended to me who can talk me through what happened and why. I think that might be an appropriate route to try first.

user1483387154 Tue 03-Jan-17 10:14:04

Maybe a psychologist who specialises in traumatic events. For this child it must have been extremely scary and difficult to come to terms with.

steppemum Tue 03-Jan-17 10:14:40

absolutely say yes.
No psychologist or psychiatrist will prescribe as a first step.
I would imagine they would help to talk him through genuine fears versus over reaction etc and help him with coping mechanisms.

He sounds as if he is suffering a sort of post trauma stress, quite common after a major health scare.

TheHoldings Tue 03-Jan-17 11:54:59

My Rheumatologist Dr Hasson recommends Dr Netali Levi for anxiety related conditions. This is the blurb from his website, hth

Dr. Netali Levi, Clinical Psychologist – London
Contact: Mrs Pari Macdonald 07957 222064 email:

As well as being qualified to work with all children and young people with common psychological problems such as anxiety, low mood, sleeping difficulties and behavioural problems, Netali specialises in working with children with medical problems. This may be to help children and young people manage the many ways in which medical difficulties can impact on their lives. She has particular expertise in pain management and helping children to cope with medical procedures.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: