Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

How do I go about getting ds referred to a psychologist?

(7 Posts)
HeadFairy Thu 17-Nov-16 11:09:05

Do I need to go through a gp or can I approach someone directly?

BeachysSandyFlipFlops Thu 17-Nov-16 11:18:03

Go to your GP and they can refer onto CAMHS or you can be referred to someone privately, if you want to go that route.

HeadFairy Thu 17-Nov-16 11:21:24

Thank you, if I wanted to go private cabin just approach someone or do I need a referral still? I am thinking of going private because ds is talking a lot about suicide and I'm frightened and want something to happen quickly.

BeachysSandyFlipFlops Thu 17-Nov-16 11:28:43

Go to your GP. If he's talking suicide, he will be referred to CAMHS quickly, but you can also start privately.

We had exactly the same, started with GP, they referred to a local private ex CAMHS psychologist and she then referred onto CAMHS when things worsened. So we are currently on a mix of private and NHS, which works for us at the moment.

HeadFairy Thu 17-Nov-16 11:31:47

Brilliant, thanks so much. I willl call GP.

helenharry Thu 17-Nov-16 11:33:33

If at school, speak to your school nurse, they can help get things pushed through a lot quicker

Wantagoodname Sat 19-Nov-16 17:01:19

How'd it go with gp?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now