Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

Ritalin - what's your experience been like?

(7 Posts)
semideponent Tue 15-Nov-16 14:19:12

DS (13) will have an assessment for ADHD in the next few weeks and I'd love to hear from anyone who has had a child on Ritalin (or any other ADHD medication). I'm finding lots of info (and opinion) on the web, but hearing about real-life situations makes the pros and cons a bit easier to think through.

Thanks to anyone who can help by sharing their experience.

orangepudding Tue 15-Nov-16 14:25:51

Ritalin really can work very well. My son tried it for a while, it really helped with his ADHD symptoms but uncovered more of his ASD symptoms.
We also tried another drug Atomoxetine which caused huge anger issues for my usually mild(ish) mannered child.

For us not a great experience but ds was only 7. Will look it to medication again when he reaches secondary school.

crookedhooker Tue 15-Nov-16 14:25:59

Ritalin did not work for us. DS9 is on Elvanse and doing very well. We tried four before we got one that suited. He has LDs though so not sure if that makes a difference.

EndofSummerLooming Sun 20-Nov-16 09:04:38

DD wasn't diagnosed until 17. ADHD was the underlying cause of anxiety, self harm and depression that set in as pressure ratchetted up at school. So many things made sense all of a sudden.

For her it has been brilliant, a real turning point. Keep an eye on appetite though.

nuttyknitter Sun 20-Nov-16 09:10:08

My experience is of working with children with ADHD in schools. For some Ritalin appeared to make no obvious difference but for some others it was incredibly effective and you could almost see it starting to work after they'd taken a dose and wearing off when the next dose was due. The improvement in their impulsivity was dramatic.

Lucyneedssleep Sun 20-Nov-16 20:42:20

My dd has been on it roughly about a year, getting her to take it regularly is difficult so not sure we see the full effects, she won't take in holidays or weekends. With dd it made a difference to her concentration, so her work improved that was the bonus. It isn't a "wonder drug" dd is still very confrontational and argumentative and is currently excluded from school. It def helped with concentration though so it depends what your DS is like. I really really hoped it would help with her explosive temper but I haven't noticed a difference in that. I can also have a chat with dd when she's taken her medication, without she's not listening, forgets what she's saying or just walks off!

Dormez Wed 11-Jan-17 08:38:03

Hi my son is 16 and has taken Concerta (methylphenidate hydrochloride same drug as Ritalin) for 7 years. It worked really well for him he has been diagnosed with ADHD and Asperger's Syndrome. He took a break over the summer after his GCSEs then didn't restart when he started A Levels but was finding school really hard so has started taking it again and found it really helps his concentration. He is trying out the newer ADHD drug Elvanse and today is his first day on it so we will see.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now