Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

9 year old DS worryingly emotional

(5 Posts)
MissyMoo0 Wed 07-Sep-16 23:13:15

Hi All.

My 9 year old DS has, again, become worryingly emotional. throughout the day he has inexplicable outbursts where he twists completely harmless conversations and claims those speaking are trying to have a go at him. He makes up lies about people claiming they've said or done things they haven't done. He dissolves into racking sobs and if you go near him gets hysterical screaming don't hurt me. I swear I never have nor ever would hurt him!!
This happened at back to school last year and turns out he was being bullied. He moved class and eventually things calmed down and he slowly got his confidence back.
I don't think this is the case this time around. The school say he's settled into year 5 fine from their perspective. But at home the scenarios are getting increasingly worrying.
3 nights ago, having gone to bed, he came back down saying he'd had an accident. What he'd done is used his water bottle and sprayed his pyjamas in the crotch area to look like he had. A definite cry for attention but I can't figure out why.
Last night he claimed something had flown across the landing. When I asked him to go to sleep (bedtimes are really difficult & have been for a while), and said "see you in the morning", he said "see you in 50 years when you get to heaven & we can be together again as I'm going to suffocate myself". 😥
This isn't the first time he's threatened suicide. It's been going on for a long time, but so much worse now. For every hour he's amazingly happy & so cute & so loving & so kind, there's an hour where he sobs & sobs then another hour where he's physically angry - smashing & throwing things.
I've tried managing it. I can eventually calm him down with love & reassurance but it's becoming a seesaw of him screaming & me calming & it cannot go on - it's only getting faster & more concerning. I've explained that me, his Dad & 5 yr old sister love him unconditionally & will always be there to help him, but he just takes his frustrations out on all of us.
Do I contact the school nurse & ask for their advice? What do I do?
I've googled tweets relentlessly but this isn't slated mood swings. It's massive swings from extreme affection to extreme anger.

Kreeshsheesh Wed 07-Sep-16 23:23:52

It really sounds to me like he's massively anxious about something, poor lad. Is there a school nurse you couId call and chat to informally? I wouldn't be so sure that the bullying issue has been entirely resolved as perhaps seeing the perpetrator again at the start of the new school year has something to do with it. Someone wiser will hopefully be along soon. I hope you can find support with this quickly.

BombadierFritz Wed 07-Sep-16 23:26:14

I would suspect bullying again or even just anxiety about it starting again. poor boy sad

marthac265 Thu 08-Sep-16 18:10:07

You could also ask advice from your school SENCo (Special Education Needs Coordinator) You can ask them to refer to CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Heath Service) for an assessment and treatment. Or go to your GP and ask for a referral.

Some charities might be able to point you in the right direction too is you get in touch

The rainbow trust rainbowtrust.org.uk/about?gclid=CPqDmpehgM8CFRQW0wod0MQOcQ

Mind www.mind.org.uk/information-support/guides-to-support-and-services/children-and-young-people/

and Young Minds www.youngminds.org.uk/

Young Minds www.youngminds.org.uk/

Brontebiscuits Thu 08-Sep-16 18:14:54

I agree that you might need some outside help for this. Ask at school- they should be able to refer you - I think it's a bit quicker via school (the referral past at least). Good luck, it sounds very upsetting for you all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now