Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

North/north West London/Hertfordshire Child Psychologist /Counsellor

(10 Posts)
MEgirl Thu 25-Feb-16 21:26:13

Can anyone recommend a therapist for a very stressed 16 year old? I would prefer to stay fairly local as we have loads of other activities during the week and we also want to avoid appointments during school hours if possible.

BoboChic Thu 25-Feb-16 21:27:12

Maybe reduce the activities first?

MEgirl Thu 25-Feb-16 21:59:41

By activities I meant tutors. Should have specified before. Plus the occasional osteopath appointment. The tutors are even more important at the moment as DS has been missing school so we can't drop them.

joan12 Thu 25-Feb-16 22:14:06

ACP website - Child and adolescent psychotherapists registered with the ACP will be highly trained and experienced; this is recommended in NICE guidelines as a treatment for anxiety in children and adolescents. You can make appointments with a couple for consultations to see who might work well with your son and be a good fit on a personal level before commencing a treatment. Best of luck.

MEgirl Thu 25-Feb-16 22:25:44

Thank you. I wasn't sure whether to pick someone from a list or if a recommdation would be better. I'll check the website tomorrow.

HormonalHeap Sun 06-Mar-16 20:40:38

Best person to see for a 16yo girl is Tania Byron who practises from the Medical Centre in Temple Fortune. That is absolutely what she specialises in. Not cheap though at £200 ph.

HormonalHeap Sun 06-Mar-16 20:44:01

My apologies I misread the op, Tania Byron better with girls but she will recommend her male counterpart who has more success with boys

Quodlibet Sun 06-Mar-16 20:46:02

£200 p/hr is an incredibly high fee!
I'm sure there are lots of other equally good child therapists who don't charge anywhere near that much.

joan12 Sun 06-Mar-16 21:06:13

If you have a personal recommendation, that's great; if not I wouldn't be concerned about trying a couple from the ACP professional register - to qualify for registration a therapist will have already undergone a long training and be very experienced. Ask for a consultation appointment and see who you and your son feel would be a good fit. Personality is important too.

ChildPsychW6 Sun 17-Apr-16 17:46:36

Dear MEGirl
I hope you have already found the right person to help you, but if you haven’t, it may be worth looking into Child Clinical Psychology. Clinical Psychologists can use CBT and other therapeutic models to help address stress and anxiety.

I am a Child Clinical Psychologist and I have a private clinic at but you can search for other Psychologists specialising in working with children and young people through

Alternatively you can find Chartered Psychologists through the British Psychological Society Directory and add Adolescent into your search requirements.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now