Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

Can Camhs diagnose autism?

(9 Posts)
Busybee101 Tue 23-Feb-16 15:00:58

My Ds has a language disorder (statementeed) and is 11. He started at secondary school in September but due to our move he is now in a new large secondary (since January).
Senco called me in and said they think he actually has autism and would like to refer to Camhs to diagnose.

We used to see a paediatrician when he started primary but once he was statmented in year 1 we have only seen a succession of speech therapists.

Our GP never saw him as part of statement process originally and actually really has only seen him once or twice as s baby for coughs etc. now we have moved we are at a new Gp practice who know even less about him.

I hear that Camhs take so long to see anyone. I am worried that I should be going to Gp to get a paediatrician to diagnose but the senco was adamant that Cahms would do it.

Is this right?

orangepudding Tue 23-Feb-16 15:04:48

In my area no they don't. Are school refering to CAMHS? You could also ask the GP to refer to the developmental paeds.

littleducks Tue 23-Feb-16 15:06:34

Depends on the area. Maybe ask for your referral too and cancel whichever appointment comes 'last'

AllThatGlistensIs Tue 23-Feb-16 15:06:52

As Orange says, unfortunately it really is dependent on area. In mine, yes they do, my boys were both diagnosed within 10 months of initial referral, and that was on quite a long waiting list.

namechange7711 Tue 23-Feb-16 15:13:52

In my area, only CAMHS diagnose autism. You could start with the GP but they would only refer to CAMHS anyway. And yes, the waiting lists are horrendous unless you've got a co-morbid emergency situation which warrants being seen quicker.

Hopelass Tue 23-Feb-16 16:19:21

I used I work for a consultant paediatrician and she was given the authority to diagnose autism. I think it was to lighten the load on camhs. Obviously she is highly qualified and knows what she talking about. Maybe get a referral to community paeds first to see if they can do it. They might also do what is called a 'working diagnosis' which is a diagnosis in progress that isn't completely formalised.

Sarah715 Tue 23-Feb-16 16:28:01

Camhs was the only option we were given. We were told it would be the hospital but then that changed to some psychological service and then they passed it over to camhs.

Been about 6 months and we're still waiting to hear a peep.

Lancelottie Tue 23-Feb-16 16:28:23

Here's it's via GP and paediatrician, nothing to do with CAMHS. I'd go to your GP anyway, tell them what the school has said (SENCOs aren't always right...) and ask how to set the ball rolling as quickly as possible.

Busybee101 Tue 23-Feb-16 16:32:11

Thanks. A bit of a mixed bag. We've moved to Bucks - if anyone's got any experience of them?
Thanks again for all your thoughts. I guess a trip to the GP wouldn't go amiss for their thoughts on the process

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now