Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

Teen depression and social anxiety

(6 Posts)
Bunbaker Tue 09-Feb-16 07:39:38

DD is 15 and has been having CBT sessions through CAMHS for social anxiety and depression. These sessions have now finished.

She says that the sessions have a been a complete waste of time as her social anxiety prevents her from opening up to strangers. She does have friends but no-one that she can talk to about her problems.

She says she feels empty inside and is also stressed about her GCSEs whcih she will take later this year. I am supporting her revisionwise as we have found a method that works, but I don't know how else to support her as going down the medical route clearly isn't working.

Mountainwoman37 Tue 09-Feb-16 11:53:51

Sorry to hear this. Have CAMHS suggested anti- depressants to treat the depression - and if not why not? I know many people are reluctant to go on ADs but would have thought it is an option worth considering since the CBT hasn't helped her feel better - and she says she feels empty inside. My daughter is being treated for depression - recommended that she go on ADS as considered severe. also being treated for psychosis. CAMHs strongly recommended ADS ( tired fluoxetine now on sertraline) and advised unlikely to engage effectively with talking theraphy until the ADs kicked in. The sertraline has certainly helped her mood - still trying to treat the psychosis. Maybe talk to your daughter and Camhs re this option? Good luck.

Bunbaker Tue 09-Feb-16 19:22:47

I got very little feedback from CAMHS. The therapist who saw DD wasn't fully qualified - I knew this, but I agreed that DD should see her because the waiting list was so long. I will bear your suggestions in mind.

plantlady Thu 11-Feb-16 11:22:12

DS is 16 and said he thought he was depressed even before our appointments with CAMHS for severe anxiety and Aspergers. Camhs weren't great and the talking therapy didn't work so we left it for a few weeks to see if anything improved. During that time (over Xmas hols) DS had a couple of mini meltdowns with conversations that were definitely on the worrying side. I made notes at the time and put them in an e-mail prior to the review meeting. Next thing I know we're being referred upwards for depression assessment and DS is now on AD's and having talking therapy. have found the e-mail approach useful as DS opens up better to us. However he's now opening up more to his councillor as he gets to know her.

So would recommend trying the prior communication route, DS asks me to be in with him which helps him and he knows that I know what the professional knows. Now all I need to do is work out how to support him and how to get him to try and work for A levels, adopt more healthy life style, take even a little bit of exercise.........

If Camhs aren't helpful are you able to go private?

simbobs Fri 12-Feb-16 19:27:01

I can relate to your situation OP. My DD is also having therapy at camhs but is unable to fully engage with cbt due to her depression and anxiety. The psychiatrist there put her on ADs. Fingers crossed, too soon to tell whether they are helping. I have a problem with cbt because it relies on the patient actively doing as they are told, but my DD insists that the therapist doesn't tell her anything that she couldn't have found herself online, so is pretty dismissive of her efforts.

Bex134 Thu 09-Jun-16 19:57:37

i think you should contact camhs and let them know the situation, they should be able to offer alternative intervention to cbt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now