Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

Tell me about CAMHS

(13 Posts)
NotJanine Sat 06-Feb-16 10:04:51

DS16 went to see GP on his own as he said he's struggling with anxiety.
Doesn't want to talk to us about it.

Tells me he is being referred to CAMHS. I was surprised at this as I thought that would be for more serious situations. I was expecting them to suggest he goes to local teenage support charity that offers counselling and support.

I have no idea what to expect, what will happen now? I assume that all communications will be with DS. Will we be informed about anything?

Clare1971 Sat 06-Feb-16 14:05:42

He'll be assessed. Just because he's been referred doesn't mean they'll take him on. Waiting times vary but they tend to be long. As for communication with you, it seems to vary. For a while I always got copies of letters which DD (now 17) received but that seems to have stopped now and they only go to her. If I take her to appointments, they tend to ask me in to begin with at least so I get some feedback than. If you want feed back, ask for it. DS may have to give permission. In any case, be reassured that if they think he is at serious risk of harm they will speak to you. Sympathy though - it can be hard worrying about what you don't know.

NotJanine Sun 07-Feb-16 16:45:41

Thanks Clare

It's concerning that he's been referred, now we're wondering how bad he's actually feeling and what he told the GP.

simbobs Fri 12-Feb-16 19:37:50

I am in a similar situation. DD had a meltdown leading me to make her an initial GP appointment but she would only go on her own. Sent to camhs and has all consultation on her own. All letters go to her, not me. The only time I was involved was when they decided to put her on meds, so they wanted me to be aware of possible side effects (there have't been any). It is heart-breaking, but she feels she has to do this herself. I wouldn't even know what she had been diagnosed with if it weren't for my spying skills. Camhs write to her GP and copy her in, so I have unashamedly seen what has been said. She does not know this. Perhaps when she is better she will feel more able to be open. There is no reason for her not to be; we are not negligent parents or anything but they do not know that.

NotJanine Mon 15-Feb-16 09:04:42

Sorry to hear of your situation simbobs

I have asked him to tell us if he is given a prescription for anything as I feel we need to know, we're still responsible for him and as you say, need to know about side effects etc. It's such a horrible thing to be happening and I just don't know why or where it all started.

PinanNidan Mon 15-Feb-16 09:06:53

Waiting lists are long. We have been waiting since the start of November and don't even have an appointment date yet sad

simbobs Mon 15-Feb-16 10:38:27

I get the impression that provision is very variable dependent on location. The trouble is that you pin all your hopes on something which may not deliver anyway.

NotJanine Mon 15-Feb-16 10:47:43

He has agreed to see a counsellor at college, so that's a positive step. hopefully their waiting list isn't long

simbobs Mon 15-Feb-16 16:27:49

Good luck with everything. It is heart-breaking to see you child in distress and not be able to help them.

Bex134 Thu 09-Jun-16 19:54:43

16-18 yrs is a tricky age group, 16 and above are able to consent to their own treatment but under 18s still fit with child protection. So say if your child was experiencing suicidal ideation it would be for parents to be involved in support plan in keeping them safe.

You are always able to contact camhs to speak to the allocated worker and tell them your feedback, they may be limited with what they can say back but important for you to feel involved.. This does not break confidentiality. Sometimes an agreement between DD and camhs with what will be shared can help your child feel more confident in sharing. Risk concerns have to be shared.

I work for camhs and always feel uncomfortable when a parent is not involved in some way. If DD is happy for you to transport to appointments but wait in waiting room that may help in terms of being visible. Over time your DD may be happy for you to join sessions.

memcb42 Sat 11-Jun-16 21:40:31

My 14 year old daughter has just been referred to camhs due to her social anxiety, self harm and low mood. She spoke to the gp on her own although I went along and waited in the waiting room. The initial camhs letter came to me as her parent but I'm worried how much I will be involved. She says I can take her but she doesn't want to talk to me about anything. I am so worried and feel so helpless I just want her to feel happy any advice welcome. Thanks

Bex134 Sun 12-Jun-16 06:48:20

I think it's great she wants your support to take her to appointments. It may be you could speak to her before hand and agree the things you'd like to say to the camhs worker so your daughter feels secure knowing this. You are always able to call after the appointment should you wish to raise other points or clarify anything.

Whilst you wait for that appointment try the young minds website they have helpful resources for parents and young people.

Good luck smile

EndofSummerLooming Sat 06-Aug-16 12:27:14

I can tell you about it where I live. Not fit for purpose.

DD went to GP June 2015. Got assessed September. Had been cutting for six months. Anxiety and low mood. She'd also taken two small overdoses but nobody told me (over 16). CAMHS offered group therapy in the middle of the school day for six consecutive weeks starting two weeks after she started a new school. unilaterally closed her case when we said it was inadequate and inaccessible.

GP refused initially to help with referral to private counsellor as did camhs. Told to go to the internet.

Found psychiatrist. DD low mood and depression. Had cbt, didn't connect. Took overdose in zNovember. I found out four days later. On propranolol for anxiety at night and that's what she took. Related to worries about school work. Prescribed fluoxetine. Helped greatly.

At exam time took an overdose and went to a&e. Overdose was taken 26 hours before she took herself there. They wanted her to stay overnight for emergency CAMHS referral following day. We were allowed home and she was assessed by CAMHS on the Tuesday after.

CAMHS assured she would get counselling starting early in the summer hols. Then advised at beginning of hols it would start in six to eight weeks. Advised Friday that was stretching to 10-12 weeks.

Prevented me putting high quality care in place in the hols when it would have been more helpful due to misinformation.

So, in my experience, young people can expect a bug fat nothing from CAMHS. A complete waste of time. I think it might be ok if dc are travellers, have a criminal record, etc., but if they come from normal homes and have families who contribute to society the system doesn't want to know.

The select committee report was published almost two years ago. Where I live more money has been pumped in but services have not improved.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now