Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

Beating the gossips....?

(3 Posts)
Scout63 Sun 24-Jan-16 17:20:36

DD, 14, has been off school for two months after a breakdown in her mental health left her at the mercy of frequent panic attacks and a severe depression. With the help of some outstandingly supportive pastoral staff and teachers at her large comprehensive she is beginning to return to the classroom for a couple of hours a week. To her distress however she has discovered that a significant number of students across several year groups have entertained themselves by spreading all kinds of lurid gossip about the reasons for her absence and she is feeling overwhelmed by the challenge of fitting back in and reclaiming her reputation. What advice can I give her beyond "ignore it", "don't engage"...? Anyone with any useful experience to share...?

Twowrongsdontmakearight Sun 24-Jan-16 17:26:49

No useful experience I'm afraid. Unfortunately if no information is given people make up their own version of events. I'm sure your DD won't want to share what happened to her with all and sundry so I'd be tempted to make up a physical condition that means she is too 'tired' to go in for more than a couple of hours a day.

ivegotdreadfulpmttoday Mon 11-Apr-16 23:42:43

I'd probably say she's had a life threatening illness which she doesn't want to talk about at all - not a total lie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now