Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

Dealing with anger 8yo

(4 Posts)
RueDesTroisFreres Fri 16-Oct-15 22:10:03

Does anyone have any experience or ideas to help Ds 8 struggling with controlling anger?

Today he threw a whole slice of cake at the wall because he wasn't getting his own way, he was walking backwards in school playground and walked into a woman, he got angry that she should have been looking where she was going and refused to apologise. Recently he was angry because a child at school was annoying him and told them he would break their fingers if they didn't stop (he didn't do anything violent but the threat was pretty extreme). He argues with his friends a lot and I had to take him home from a party recently when he got into a fight with another boy, although he doesn't ted to fight physically as a rule, I was very shocked. These are just a few examples.

He has low self esteem and sees a play therapist weekly, which is helping him a lot, but he clearly has problems managing and controlling his anger and thus does not seem to be improving.

He has consequences whenever he reacts in a violent, threatening or rude way, so he knows it's not acceptable.

We talk about it as far as he will, which isn't very far - he does not like talking about it and gets angry generally when I try.

He is very resistant to trying any techniques to help like counting, removing himself from the situation, deep breathing. I'm not sure he fully realises or accepts that he has a problem.

I really want to help him but don't know how.

RueDesTroisFreres Sat 17-Oct-15 14:34:58

Anyone?

PolterGoose Sat 17-Oct-15 14:41:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RueDesTroisFreres Sat 17-Oct-15 21:01:58

Thanks, that thread was interesting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now