Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

Young Healthy Minds service in Kent- any experience?

(5 Posts)
MimiSam Sat 31-Jan-15 12:01:50

My daughter aged 7 has been referred for anxiety and other issues. Does anyone have any experience of this service? It is our first step into child mental health services and I am a bit shocked that they plan to talk to her alone and offer confidentiality...surely at that age parents need to be a bit more involved...?

anthropology Sun 01-Feb-15 10:19:03

I hadnt heard of it and it seems to be new, with counsellors rather than psychotherapists and psychiatrists. I imagine it must be a service to take pressure of Camhs. At this age, she is not considered Gillick competent(Ie old enough to make her own decisions) so you would need to authorise counselling and ask the protocol of your involvement. ie although they dont have to reveal the contents of the conversation, if she wants you in with her, she should be able to. Do ask all these questions and get informed responses. look at CAMHS and NICE guidelines for treatment of anxiety disorder in children. Post 14 it was a huge battle to stay involved, but maybe call the parents line at young minds and ask for a call back to discuss. It might be fine, but I think the important thing for a child is that she sees the best professional expert, with her parents support, although of course there is also a need to protect the child and their freedom to talk. good luck.

MimiSam Sun 01-Feb-15 12:20:09

Thanks for the reply. From what I can gather from various guidelines, it seems best practice to ask the child if they want anyone in the sessions with them, although I appreciate a 7 year old might find this a tricky decision...I'm also concerned that the sessions have been arranged at school, during lesson times. One of my daughter's difficulties is with managing friendships and I know she will find it hard to field the insistent questioning of classmates as to where she is going and what she is doing...

Selks Tue 03-Feb-15 19:46:47

Well as parent you can contact them and voice your feelings. Surely they need your consent to see your DD in school anyway. If you prefer, contact them and ask for appointments outside of school that you can attend too.
In terms of best practice for treatment of anxiety problems in young children it is usually better to include parents anyway - research backs this up, unless there is anything specific about your daughter's situation that warrants her being seen on her own.

anthropology Thu 05-Feb-15 23:36:35

selks is right, sometimes these new services are rushed out and have worked out best practice , so you should ask all these questions and air your concerns, ideally written down politely.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: