Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

What would you do, advice please

(7 Posts)
Anjelica27 Mon 19-Jan-15 21:15:23

Have posted several times about ds age 17, suicide attempts and self harming escalating. Has been referred to CAMHS but refusing to see anyone. Very frightened he will make a mistake. Found out today he could be refered to adult services by gp, would this be better. Thank you

MajesticWhine Mon 19-Jan-15 22:38:19

That is frightening for you. Yes, perhaps adult services might be more appropriate, given he is on the threshold. But if he refuses to see anyone, then I am not sure what difference it will make. Has he really never been assessed at all? If you fear that he is going to do serious harm to himself, then you could call your local crisis team and ask them to see him. It is possible he could be sectioned.

This is quite a helpful web page, maybe there is some info here that helps

Anjelica27 Mon 19-Jan-15 22:54:31

Because he is 17 nobody will talk to me. Terrified what will happen next. Need to be refered to adult services by GP so will try them tomorrow. Has seen CAMHS but no diagnosis so don't know what is wrong. Have no contact with a crisis team nobody told me about them

MajesticWhine Tue 20-Jan-15 11:22:01

GP should sort you out with info about your local crisis team. or your NHS trust’s website will have information, or find out by calling NHS 111. Sounds like you should speak to them and get a care plan in place for your DS. You don't have to deal with this on your own.

Anjelica27 Tue 20-Jan-15 14:43:32

Thank you for your help. Have spoken to team and got crisis numbers just in case x

coffeemilk2sugars Wed 21-Jan-15 09:21:48

I just want to send you a hug. My son (17)made an attempt on his life last August after months of trying to get my local CAMHs to help him (he had been self harming for 12 months before his attempt) But the people I found most helpful were social services. The police contacted them after his attempt and I initially didnt want their involvement, but I was desperate and arranged a meeting. They reassured me they weren't there to judge but for support. I was given a family support worker who was a god send through those hard months. She would visit me (not my son) once a week, she helped chase up CAHMS with what they were doing, gave me more advice than any other professional with regards to helping my son but most of all it was someone I could sound off to and have a good cry with.
I know no one wants the stigma of having social services involved, but they really did help me and my son.
I really hope you and your son get the help you deserve through this xx

anthropology Wed 21-Jan-15 23:34:09

generally if he is already with camhs, they should put in a transition plan for him to move to adult services when he is 18. if the GP refers you to adult services now you may go back to the beginning in terms of wait time and assessment . Generally experience is adult services are overwhelmed and many teens who meet threshold for help with camhs, are not deemed unwell enough for adult services. My daughter, despite repeated hospitalisation and urgent reports for support from camhs therapists, took a year to get help from adult services. Ask camhs about a plan for transition, but understand its hard if he wont talk to someone. He can give them permission to talk to you about his treatment etc so do push for information. If he is actively suicidal and you are concerned about safety, camhs is a better option as he would go into an adolescent unit if necessary until his 18th birthday, very different from an adult unit. // CALM have a helpline specifically for men, I'm not sure if like Young Minds they offer parents a callback. Do you know any young men who have been through something like this and might be able to engage with him and help him agree to at least meet a therapist once ?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: