Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

Schizophrenia - what age for diagnosis?

(5 Posts)
YouAreMyRain Tue 13-Jan-15 20:01:51

DD1 is 8yo, under Camhs, lots of MH issues. I am concerned that she is showing early signs of schizophrenia or a personality disorder.

Camhs have said that they would not diagnose either of these until late teens or early twenties as the personality is still fluid until then.

I know of children the same age as DD1 in other areas with those diagnoses.

What are people's experiences?
(if you could pm me with your area for privacy reasons that would be great)

Also does anyone have the names of any private consultants who do diagnose for these at 8yo?

I really need some help for her.

Thanks

Verbena37 Wed 14-Jan-15 09:08:56

Hi, I'm afraid I can't really help with a similar thing (although DS 9 has had some worrying behaviours with self harm recently) but didn't want to leave your poet unanswered.
However, I was going to suggest, could you pay the first one off payment for a private assessment with a psychiatrist? That way, you will have a second opinion and they can refer you back to the NHS if they think it necessary?
Hope you find someone to help. It's so frustrating when MH services aren't equal across the country.

YouAreMyRain Wed 14-Jan-15 09:56:17

Thanks for replying. I would be willing to pay privately but I don't know how to find a psychiatrist who would diagnose an 8yo. How would I find one?

Verbena37 Wed 14-Jan-15 10:43:03

www.achippp.org.uk
On this page you can type in your postcode and find people near you.

Verbena37 Wed 14-Jan-15 10:44:23

Or these....
www.childpsychotherapy.org.uk

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: