Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

Depressed 15 year old

(6 Posts)
Isittooearlyforwine Sun 09-Mar-14 05:34:05

Have a 15 year old daughter who has recently been diagnosed with severe depression and prescribed fluoxetine unfortunately had adverse reaction to the drug and ended up worse with suicidal thoughts. Doctors have prescribed more anti depressants but dd now terrified that she is "so screwed up" (her words) that she is beyond help. She has school and friendship issues and has now not been in school for a while - CAMHS have been supportive but it all takes such a long time and it is hard walking on eggshells with a teen who is so low. She says she wants to get better and then in the next breath that it is all too hard and she wants to give up or run away. Any advice gratefully received.

Autismslave Sun 09-Mar-14 06:52:34

When I was 15 I refused to go to school and was very depressed a few events has happened in my life and I was too young to deal with them. I stick to my mum like glue for a couple of years but undos come through the otherside. I would say as hard as it is for you to hear let her talk to you iand tell youhow she feels and Amidst depression it's quite normal to swing from one to another just let her know your there and always will be and that she can tell you anything, that you don't know or have all the answers but you'll do our dam best to help her find her way.

anthropology Sun 09-Mar-14 08:14:11

how difficult for you both. Autismslave is right, but try to assure her with the right support and treatment , although slowly, for most it really does get better in a year or two, and you may have to keep assuring her that you love her , and together you will find the best way to help her, as depression is an illness, and can be treated. Presumably the new antidepressants(sertraline?) are alongside regular talking therapy ? the idea is usually to lift the depression enough to talk. It doesn't necessarily mean she will need them long term and my DD felt they removed her too much from feeling, and gradually came off as she started coping. Try to assure her that so many young people go through this . I think my DD felt really isolated, and for her,the positive side of being in hospital showed her there were others like her and she had friends at a difficult time. Do you know any slightly older relatives or friends who came through something like this, who she can talk to ? Just a thought but has she had a WISC 4 ed psych evaluation, if school has been tough. My DD discovered she had learning issues, ASD traits previously unnoticed , and the information gave her confidence that she had strengths as well as vulnerabilities and helped support her going back to school eventually (a new environment helped) . Make sure she has ways to relax, music, candlelit baths etc. My DD kept a daily journal of thoughts. Young Minds might have some thoughts and I advise CBT for you, via your GP, to help you cope. best of luck.

IloveJudgeJudy Sun 09-Mar-14 20:25:12

Hi, Isit. I have just written a really long post on your other thread!

Just a quick thought - I agree with Anthropology that a new school helped my DD, too (although ironically it was when she was in this lovely new school which was much "safer" for her and had found some great new friends, that she had more of a breakdown than she had before. I think it's like when you get ill on holiday from work. She relaxed and couldn't cope.)

Isittooearlyforwine Mon 10-Mar-14 20:19:15

Thanks to all of you for your advice - sorry for posting it twice it was early and I tried to upload on my phone which obviously doesn't work too well - I guess I am just going to have to accept that there is no magic wand and I am going to have to be patient and take it slowly. DD has now started the new anti depressants sertraline, she is taking 1/4 of a tablet and will increase slowly and hopefully without any scary side effects. Off to speak to current school tomorrow about what they can do and to try to arrange a managed move if possible…She has regular CBT counselling and sees the doctor regularly but they are trying to keep her in the community rather than in hospital - apparently they are worried she may find it too nice and then have difficulty readjusting. confused

anthropology Tue 11-Mar-14 00:22:50

The important thing is that you feel she can stay safely at home with you able to look after her. My experience is that hospital can seem a bit of a safer, less isolating, place for a distressed teen,especially if suicidal. There is sometimes a tendency (as in all hospitals) for it to take a bit of time to get out,once in, and it is very hard to hand your child to someone else, but if she is really struggling and you ever feel she isn't safe,do make sure Camhs know how low she is and support you both.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now