Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

Help 7 yo has just tried to strangle her sister

(18 Posts)
changeforthebetter Tue 09-Apr-13 21:59:25

Feel sick and stunned. Have been trying to get her seen by CAMHS since Christmas but it has been cocked up. I have spoken to someone today who agree "CAMHS probably necessary" but we will wait months hmm She has just had her hands round her little sister's neck, shaking her and shouting "shut up". This is not normal sibling fighting. She has wild mood swings, hates herself and can't sleep - all very out of character for her. WTF do I do now? I am scared to leave them in another room in case she flips again. Dd2 was scared. I should go and see Dd1 but I don't know what to say or do. I am not angry, I am frightened hmm

Rosa Tue 09-Apr-13 22:13:29

Don't want to read and bumping for you....

mindfulmum Tue 09-Apr-13 22:44:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

changeforthebetter Tue 09-Apr-13 22:59:18

Spoke to OOH GP who said must take her to A&E. have had to ring X to come and mind DD2. GP said A&E might not be much good but will escalate referral - oh fuck, cannot believe it has come to this. Also there is no crisis team for children hmm

Devora Tue 09-Apr-13 23:04:33

i am so sorry, you poor things. This incident must get your referral escalated - now that your dd is a danger to others she must be seen urgently. Can't your GP escalate the referral? They must be triaged.

mindfulmum Wed 10-Apr-13 07:41:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SorryMyLollipop Wed 10-Apr-13 10:27:15

I agree that she is probably very scared herself. Pester CAMHS, ring everyday if needed. Also contact PALS (patient advice and liaison service?) this will definitely escalate the referral.
PM me if you like. Good luck xx

changeforthebetter Wed 10-Apr-13 11:12:24

we are in hospital. they kept us waiting till 530am for a bed. they insisted on admitting her. Dr on rounds pretty much said CAMHS not going to get to us till next week. I pointed out I am a lone parent so will be trying to safeguard both kids.sad x has dd2 for now but she can't stay there - too far from school - plus she would miss me- she is 5 sad

daytoday Wed 10-Apr-13 11:26:40

Being admitted to hospital is good. Make sure they check her bloods. Her bloods will show if there is anything physical going on that is causing these outbursts - I'm thinking, thyroid, tumours and cancers, kidney problems, diabetes - Do not let them discharge her until she has had her blood tests.

Ask them what tests they have done and get them to write them down for you. Go to GP and discuss.

Do eliminate physical causes first.

changeforthebetter Wed 10-Apr-13 12:28:47

that's what we're waiting for now. good idea to get them to write stuff down. I have barelyvslept so low brain power! she has complained of lots of headaches - registrar mentioned a scan but not sure if they would agree to it

changeforthebetter Thu 11-Apr-13 10:03:30

all hospital tests have come back c Lear. camhs are nowhere in evidencehmm

SorryMyLollipop Thu 11-Apr-13 13:41:47

It may help to contact PALS, insider info tells me that when health professionals get contacted by PALS, they all jump to it and prioritise the case.

Also, my counsellor kept contacting CAMHS on my behalf to say that she couldn't work with me until my DC was sorted because my MH issues (stress and anxiety) were as a direct result of my DC's MH problems (attempting suicide at 6yrs old etc) - basically I had secondary trauma.

It can really help to get a health professional on your side, maybe your GP? Do you still have a Health Visitor?

Good luck xx

changeforthebetter Thu 11-Apr-13 14:07:15

thanks lollipop - I think I remember your thread te dd. hoe is she? camhs Dr here now but on call so keeps getting called out to deal with other cases. if I weren't so tired would be angrier.

SorryMyLollipop Fri 12-Apr-13 01:25:46

My dd is a lot more settled at the moment - fingers crossed. Thanks for asking. Hope you get some proper help and support soon. X

changeforthebetter Fri 12-Apr-13 07:05:17

we are still in hospital sad having said her ct scan was fine , they then changed their ends and did an mri last night and won't let us go home until that is written up. dd is fed up of hospital and bored.

changeforthebetter Fri 12-Apr-13 07:05:41

minds not ends

SorryMyLollipop Fri 12-Apr-13 07:19:57

It must be frustrating being stuck there in hospital, but you are soooo doing the right thing, it is really important to rule certain things out. Because of my dds background, medical causes were never even considers. Hope you get done answers (or get released) soon.

mindfulmum Sat 13-Apr-13 15:28:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: