Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

Possible Eating disorder 16 dd please help!

(7 Posts)
100lilgreen Mon 22-Aug-11 23:26:09

My dd has never been a good eater. She is extremely fussy. She only eats carbs, pasta, bread .. and also abit of meat, which would only be a tiny portion of chicken and beef that is very very well done so it is dry bassically. She hates vegetables and fruit and feels sick at the sight of salad. If a lettuce leaf or tomato arrives with her meal at a restaurant she'll start to kick up a fuss and refuse to eat it unless it is sent back. I always say it can just be taken off but she insists it is disgusting and will make her ill. She dreads each meal and doesn't even like the food she does eat, but knows she has to eat otherwise she will be hungry. She eats junk food alot but recently has started to stop that. Even though unhealthy, never minded her eating it because at least something was going inside her!
I have become increasinly worried this summer as she has become so thin and her BMI is now 17 which is underwieght. She is very bony and I have noticed her giving up with eating ( she used to just force pasta inside her because she was hungry). She went away for a month to a summer camp and came back as thin as ever telling me all she ate was crisps all day. She is nearly 5 foot 8 and weighs about 8 stone. what should i do?! she is beginning to refuse nearly all food now. is she anorexic? help me ! Thnks

DialMforMummy Tue 23-Aug-11 09:27:33

Have you talked to her about it?

sassyTHEFIRST Tue 23-Aug-11 09:35:23

Do you have a sympathetic (female?) Dr? I would encourage dd to see the GP (with or without you) to talk through her food phobias and discuss ways forward. Impossible to diagnose eating disorder from what you've posted but you are right to be concerned.

100lilgreen Tue 23-Aug-11 21:41:45

Yes i have confronted her and she just brushes me off with "Of course not! i'm just a fussy eater". So very confused ..
Our GP is male .. :s

DialMforMummy Thu 25-Aug-11 09:29:08

Is she obsessed with weighing herself? or skinny celebs? Do you think she might be depressed? Does she avoid to sit down for dinner with you?
The other thing you could do would be to get her involved in food prep or/and menu planning so she can't hide behind the fussiness argument.
Anyhow I would seek professional advice.

smokeandglitter Fri 07-Oct-11 21:21:08

Seek advice now.

It is hard to say if Anorexia is the cause, but any eating disorder is dangerous and the early any eating issues are caught the better.

Denial and avoiding confrontation are entirely normal is any mental illness, including EDs. I hope it resolves. xxx

charlotteUK Wed 12-Oct-11 11:52:34

I would strongly suggest getting a diagnosis from your GP. For help and information about eating disorders, please look at www.feast-ed.org and www.eatingresearch.com.

Your daughter sounds as if she may be very ill and the sooner you can intervene the better for her long term health. Please bear in mind that this is not her fault. She is not choosing to be ill. She is suffering from a biologically based brain disorder. Try and stay calm and kind.

There is a forum for parents and carers of eating disorder patients www.aroundthedinnertable.org. You will find support, help and information there. You are not alone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now