Talk

Advanced search

Do you cover your ark in winter?

(9 Posts)
Flightattendant Wed 04-Nov-09 06:31:39

Haven't got the chooks yet, actually, but am trying to think ahead! I have just ordered a really thick, insulated rabbit hutch cover for the bunnies and was wondering whether it would be a good idea and/or necessary to get something similar for the chicken ark?

I mean I know rabbits are fine in cold weather really but I feel awful for them out there especially if it snows or something, they have got each other (3 of them) and the hutch is ok for a hop about but they can't run to get warm.

Obviously chickens might operate differently. But what do you think...there is a guy on ebay who does made to measure insulated covers.

NormaStanleyFletcher Wed 04-Nov-09 10:10:42

I am not an expert, but my ILs have chickens (and they are in scotland, fairly high up, it gets cold there) and they just make sure that they go and break the ice on the water bowls.

Inghouls2 Wed 04-Nov-09 10:39:37

I don't do anything to protect my chooks in winter. You just need to make sure there is somewhere they can go to shelter from the wind and rain. Mine free range and prefer to hide out in the garage grin

ABetaDad Wed 04-Nov-09 11:00:26

Just make sure they can shelter in a dry place and the ark has not got big gaps to let wind in. They will be fine otherwise as they sit together and fluff up their feathers.

Very hot conditions are much worse than cold for chickens. They get dehydrated which is a major problem in broiler sheds.

Flightattendant Wed 04-Nov-09 11:13:40

Thanks, sounds as though they are pretty hardy.

I might stretch to an old blanket then if it gets really cold smile

sarah293 Wed 04-Nov-09 11:16:17

Message withdrawn

Don't do a blanket, its important that chickens have good ventilation in their ark. They go down with all sorts of respiratory problems otherwise. I don't even shut the ark door at night and they've always been fine.

Flightattendant Wed 04-Nov-09 17:21:03

Ok, thankyou - noted! smile

Chickenshavenolips Thu 05-Nov-09 14:19:19

It got down to -8 here last winter, and my bantam hens were fine. I just put a bit more bedding in the coop for them to snuggle down in. Oh, and the drinkers often needed defrosting grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now