Talk

Advanced search

Culled my cockeral last night.

(47 Posts)

Neighbours had complained as he staretd crowing last week. He was the only chick that survived, typical he was a boy.

I took him round to a friend's and held him while my friend's DH did it. OMG, it was not nice. sad I felt quite ill, it was a lot worse than I thought it would be. Now the next cockeral we have I'm going to try with my friend's DH there as support. Just not sure I'd be able to do it.

meltedmarsbars Tue 20-Oct-09 23:04:18

Quickest way is put your foot on his neck and thwack him on the head with the side of a hammer.

Are you going to eat him?

We ate my dd1's two from this spring's hatchings last weekend.

GentleOtter Tue 20-Oct-09 23:15:13

Oh, it is horrid having to do it, Stripey but their crowing can be a pest.
We have loads to cull but we cannot catch them as they are roosting high up in the rafters then skulking around during the day.

CarGirl Tue 20-Oct-09 23:16:30

you've just put me off ever owning chickens!

meltedmarsbars Tue 20-Oct-09 23:28:46

Got to be truthful!!

How d'you think your chicken drumstick died? And our have much better lives while they do live! grin

I guess its one think knowing how they die and actually doing it yourself. grin Especially when his neck wouldn't seem to break, just kept stretching. Friend cut his head off in the end and he did the thing of still moving about even when headless which is very freaky.

He was only 4 months old so a bit small for eating.

CarGirl Wed 21-Oct-09 09:58:13

it's the thought of

a) having to kill animal myself
b) having to kill an animal that I've looked after and probably grown fond of.

Still quite happy to eat other peoples though so long as I haven't had to do the deed grin

I remember my Dad telling me that the kept rabbits to eat during and after WWII

meltedmarsbars Wed 21-Oct-09 10:10:11

We don't name things intended for the pot. That way there's less emotional attachment.

CarGirl Wed 21-Oct-09 10:24:44

hmm less emotional attachment, that kind of implies that there is still some....

Missy8c Wed 21-Oct-09 11:23:18

Of course there is emotional attachment. They are sentient beings. They feel pain and fear like the rest of us. Why are human beings so smug that we really believe we have the right to take the lives of 'lesser' beings for our own selfish desires. Perhaps the discomfort you feel about killing living things should be telling you something! One would have to be completely de-humanised to feel nothing at all, and certainly lacking in compassion to be able to kill in the first place. I wouldn't dispute that free range animals have a far better existence than the poor souls who are factory farmed but they are not the only two choices.

Yes, I have jumped on a thread that I don't belong to.
Yes, I am about to get completely slagged off for putting in my opinion (water off a duck's back....a living duck!), and
Yes, you probably have a million and one reasons why I am wrong and I don't understand etc, etc.

Sorry, but if just one person reads my post and thinks twice about whether they really need to eat the corpses of murdered animals then some good has been done.

I didn't have any emotional attachment to he cockeral. I was just a bit grossed out by te pracicalities of it. I wanted to make sure it was done as humanely as possible as I'm aware that they feel pain/stress.

Chickenshavenolips Wed 21-Oct-09 12:47:28

Well done Stripey Personally, I think that if you're responsible for bringing something into being, you are responsible for seeing it out if it comes to it. I haven't hatched my own chooks yet for this reason. I think I would be capable, but I don't know of anyone who could show me the quickest, least stressful way. I don't know anyone who breeds chooks that looks forward to culling, but it is a necessity, and much more humane than leaving them out for the fox.

meltedmarsbars Wed 21-Oct-09 14:38:30

Missy8c, you have as much right to voice your opinions on this thread as any of the rest of us!!

I think that killing and eating your own food is far more human than the factory-farmed versions in supermarkets. We have developed as omnivores, and over thousands of years have developed our big brains etc from the high protein sources of meat.

Kidding ourselves that we shouldn't eat meat is denying our ancestry.

Missy8c Wed 21-Oct-09 14:57:00

Our ancestry includes rape, pillage and murder (of humans) too but we have grown to realise that this is not acceptable. Meat is known to have carcinogenic properties and recent evidence proves that a vegetarian diet is healthier and that vegetarians live longer and are generally more intelligent than meat eaters. I already said that I detest factory farming and agree that eating and killing your own food may be less offensive. I can't abide the hypocrites who will close their eyes to the suffering of animals as they ignore the truth behind the packaged meat on the supermarket shelves. However, I still cannot get my head around how someone can murder an innocent creature just because it might taste nice with veg and gravy.

CommonNortherner Wed 21-Oct-09 15:19:48

mmmm... I had a corpse of a murdered animal sarny for lunch, was delish!

CommonNortherner Wed 21-Oct-09 15:20:32

It had a death shroud of lettuce and onion, very dignified it was too!

ilovesprouts Wed 21-Oct-09 15:23:54

yuk no wonder my dd is veggie !!

bodycolder Wed 21-Oct-09 15:24:43

I am not a vegetarian and have never killed anything that I have eaten which is probably the majority of MN carnivores.I am a bit ashamed to admit that tbh as I do think if you are happy to buy shrink wrapped meat in the supermarket without a second thought you should not be shockd by the slaughter.I applaud you the rest of us are hypocrites grin

Missy8c Wed 21-Oct-09 16:47:19

What a shame that on a serious subject on a discussion board, we have people who can only manage to make stupid comments showing their ignorance and inability to add anything worthwhile to the conversation. Well at least it gives weight to the argument that vegetarians are more intelligent so thanks for that CommonNortherner!

hmc Wed 21-Oct-09 16:53:10

I must admit I do think it is wrong for us to eat animals - I appreciate that we are ominivores hence teeth for ripping, teeth for grinding etc..but we are human and capable of making a moral choice rather than following blind biology.

However - I do eat meat, whilst still acknowledging that it is wrong. I also keep chickens and had two cockerels killed out of a batch of chicks that I raised.

I think that makes me a moral reprobate! Most of the time I deal with these moral dilemmas by simply not thinking about it grin

Missy8c Wed 21-Oct-09 16:57:44

hmc - I think you are actually a vegetarian waiting to happen

hmc Wed 21-Oct-09 16:58:24

Possibly Missy...

slimeoncrazydemon Wed 21-Oct-09 17:00:30

Message withdrawn

Missy8c Wed 21-Oct-09 17:27:50

Yeah slimeoncrazydemon, get off the fence. It's a bit lonely on my side!
I readily admit to 'preaching' because sometimes people are interested...in how animals are treated, what the alternatives are, why I am veggie etc. etc. so very occasionally someone will think about making a change to their eating habits based on what they learn. If something I say saves a single animal then I'm happy to have stood on my soapbox.

CommonNortherner Wed 21-Oct-09 17:29:30

Actually I was a vegetarian for years and a vegan for a year and currently eat a mostly vegetarian diet. I just never lost my sense of humour!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now