Talk

Advanced search

cockerel crowing

(5 Posts)
OHSOCUTE Mon 12-Oct-09 20:13:30

Hi everyone, I'm a complete newby to chickens. I have a hen house on the way and the O/H is building a new run over the weekend, it will be 15ft x 9ft. I want to give them as much room as possible as I do work & I want to keep them safe from Cats, Rats and any foxes in the area. I'm planning on giving them range of the garden when I'm at home so I can keep an eye on them.

I have looked scoured the internet, read books and asked as many people as possible about the pro's and con's of ex-batt, hybrids & full breeds. I am thinking of getting a couple of ex-batt and a couple of the Old English breeds to give a little variety. My 12yr old Daughter wants a couple of the colourful ones with the feathers on their feet.

The one thing I'm unsure of is a cockerel. Emma (my daughter) has asked for a cockerel but I'm unsure. We have a farm at least a 11/2 miles away and when the wind is in the right direction we can hear their cockerel. I live in a row of ten houses and I think it would be too close. Could anybody give any advice?

My husband wants to know at what age do they normally develope their crow as well.

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Mon 12-Oct-09 20:21:54

Cockerels are loud and they crow all day long, not just at dawn (which would be bad enough). They will start crowing at around 10 weeks old, though it's more of a party blower noise, and by 16 weeks they may have the full cock-a-doodle-doo going.

I have 4 cockerels here at the moment, they hate to be the last one to crow, so it's pretty much ongoing noise. Fortunately, I don't have neighbours.

madlentileater Mon 12-Oct-09 22:44:16

we are not allowed to keep them (bye laws)
really not a good idea in your situation, and not needed anyway.

LilyBolero Mon 12-Oct-09 22:50:31

I really wouldn't get a cockerel, you want to keep your neighbours sweet (last thing you want is a complaint to the council and have them coming round and inspecting etc).

lottiebunny Sat 17-Oct-09 16:23:01

My next door neighbour (terrace house) has a cockerel. At first I was a little bit annoyed but I've got used to it and quite like hearing him crowing when I'm hanging washing out.

Other people may not have the same view as me though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now