Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Should i take the plunge - honest answers pls.

(7 Posts)
fakeblondie Thu 08-Oct-09 16:18:17

Ok i grew up as a lo on a chicken farm but that was years ago !
I now live in a small quiet cul de sac in a modern house with average size legoland type garden !
I have my allotment but i would love 2 chickens at home .

Do you think i will manage 2 chickens-if i go away in our caravan for a weekend am quite enjoying the freedom of no pets to sort out when we go-would they be ok fri to sun ?

Can i keep them in a coop on hardstanding and let them on the lawn say for a couple of hours a day and if so will my lawn be covered in chicken poo - is there a health risk involved there ? Or will they need to be on green 24/7 and i just move them about ?

Anyone else had a couple of chucks in a modern estate or should i really be leaving them to the small holders ?
We`d like to take a couple of ex batts and the kids would love it . They really would be well looked after but i just want to know what i`m taking on first and not just do this on a whim .
A freecycler has offerred be a chicken arc ?

Really appreciate any replies .
Cheers x

becklespeckle Thu 08-Oct-09 16:43:31

I have 3 ex-batts in a small cul-de-sac with an average sized garden and they are fine! They are mainly in their run as DH spotted a fox about although I let them out most days when I can be about with them.

If they are going to be mainly cooped up then I would put some woodchippings down in the run for them. They love to scratch about and a hardstanding may be harsh on their feet (and grass will be very quickly destroyed) mine have endless fun rooting through the chippings looking for bugs. They do leave some poo on the lawn and patio when they are out but I usually go and poo-pick after they are back away so the garden is fine for the DCs to play in. The less-solid poos wash away/into the ground easily as they are very water soluble.

I'm not sure if they would be okay to leave Friday to Sunday but I don't see why not as I think you can get feeders and drinkers which dispense the food/water gradually and their coop does not need cleaning out every day.

My DCs (9y, 6y and 21m) love having the chooks and although we've only had them since August they are not yet bored of checking for eggs and seeing which chook comes out first in the morning. They are such little personalities and are already happy to be handled by me and stroked by the children and will follow me about to see if I have any treats for them!

fakeblondie Thu 08-Oct-09 19:00:44

Thanks beckles that really helpful.
I will get the coop all set up and buy everything and get 2 i think !
I`m quite excited .!

becklespeckle Sat 10-Oct-09 23:44:07

No probs! Good luck with it all smile

lavenderkate Sat 10-Oct-09 23:49:20

I had chickens for a long time adn I live in the town.
Had a run attached to the henhouse though and used to let them out in the morning and shut away at night.

Neighbours/friends were always willing to help out when we went away as they got to collect the eggs as a reward, its not like looking after someones guineapigs.

Going to get more soon. I'd say go for it. It is a fantastic way of life.

Remember during the war nearly everyone had hens so it cant be too hard can it? smile

seaglass Sun 11-Oct-09 14:15:00

I'd definately say go for it! Hens make the best pets - and you get the bonus of eggs

Over the weekend, you can make sure they have plenty of food and water, but you would need someone to check them at least once a day, and to collect eggs. (so if waters knocked over, someone can sort it out, and just check they're all OK)

fakeblondie Mon 12-Oct-09 14:02:11

Brill thanks .
DH has almost renovated the coop-bought water and feeding things - just need the chickens now ! x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now