Talk

Advanced search

digging under the eglu run

(9 Posts)
notsofarnow Sat 26-Sep-09 08:44:16

I have recently put my girls onto a patch of earth because they were wrecking the grass. I put a load of bark down which they have merrily scratched all outside the run. But the problem i have is tht they are digging thier way under the fox proof bit of the run. The way they are going they will be out from under it soon.

What can i do? Should i be puting something ie patio slabs or kerb stones around the edge of the run to stop them?

notsofarnow Sat 26-Sep-09 16:43:39

bump

MitchyInge Sat 26-Sep-09 19:03:26

Will they really dig that deep? Mine just make little hollows for dust baths, do yours have access to enough fresh green shoots though? Could they be digging for dandelion roots or something?

notsohot Sat 26-Sep-09 21:41:19

We have fastened the skirt down with a few tent pegs. Do you think that would help you?

notsofarnow Sun 27-Sep-09 16:50:25

they have dug pretty deep and i think your right they are trying to get to the greenery. What can i do to give it to them? Like i said i have taken them off the grass bec they completly wreck a patch in 3-4 days so have to move them round constantly. They love to be out but its getting the opportunity to do it ie keeping the dog in or making sure I out in the garden constantly.

MitchyInge Sun 27-Sep-09 20:08:43

I dunno, could you give them some salad greens and stuff like that? ours are very fond of dandelion roots, ripe tomatoes, lettuce, corn on the cob.

Have just rehoused mine into an ark and am moving it every day but yes, the 'lawn' is wrecked!

nettlemummy Sun 27-Sep-09 20:27:01

Hi, try getting a roll of turf for them, ours like it.

notsofarnow Fri 02-Oct-09 16:29:37

ah thts a good idea but it would be wrecked in 2 days is that normal??

They've been out in the garden all afternoon today.

mitchyinge jealously at your ark envy

becklespeckle Sat 10-Oct-09 23:46:58

If you are not moving your run about then could you put a low border (log roll or something) around it so the bark couldn't get scattered far? I am currently nagging waiting for DH to do this for our chooks as they have managed to kick the woodchippings seeminly all over the garden!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now