Talk

Advanced search

Any ideas?

(9 Posts)
Happypetal Fri 28-Aug-09 12:41:52

I'm a bit stumped here ...... I think one of my chickens might be on the way out. The pair of them have been away at a friend's house for a month whilst I've been away - they have had a ball, playing with all of the other chickens that they own.

I went to fetch them last night - one is now moutling and looks pretty much fit for the table and the other has barely moved all day - she's puffed up all her feathers and is just standing very still in the garden and looking very sorry for herself.

I've put out their normal layers pellets and corn, lots of fresh water and have boiled them up some rice - neither are particularly interested in anything. Any advice as to what I should do? - or should I just wait for the inevitable?

I'm wondering if she's about to die of old age - or they are both punishing me for taking them away from the chicken paradise that they have just enjoyed for the last month!

GentleOtter Fri 28-Aug-09 12:52:48

What breed is she and how old, also what are her droppings like?

Breeds like Isa Brown are not very long lived.

Many hens are now going through the moult so we tend to lay off the layers pellets and give them a mixed grain/ vegetable diet for a bit until they gain a little weight and their feathers come back.

Cluckadoodledoo Fri 28-Aug-09 12:54:40

Maybe they are missing their new friends?

Have you checked for mites/lice etc?

Happypetal Fri 28-Aug-09 12:56:15

Thank you so so much for getting back to me!

The one that is moulting is a welsummer - she's quiet, but not concerning me overly. The other is a warren hen - bog standard, and fairly old. When she came home last night, she did a very watery poo, but I've not seen her poo or any evidence of poo since..... should I be concerned about this?

Thank you!

Happypetal Fri 28-Aug-09 12:57:32

I am wondering if they're missing their friends! ..... I've red mite powdered them both since they got home - no evidence, but like to play safe!

BroodyChook Fri 28-Aug-09 12:59:25

I would do a complete health check, including worming and dusting for mites. It's possible that your girls have picked up a parasite/virus which the other hens have become immune to. Check for any eye bubbling/noisy breathing too, as mycoplasma infections are often flock specific, and once infected a hen is always a carrier.

Cluckadoodledoo Fri 28-Aug-09 13:00:00

One of my warrens did watery poos for weeks when we first got her, she was stressed at being rehomed. It settled down eventually.

I reckon they are pining!Maybe you need to get them some new buddies!grin

Hope they settle down soon.

Happypetal Fri 28-Aug-09 13:01:03

Brilliant - thank you Broody - I'll get some worm stuff down them now! ..... here's hoping!

Happypetal Fri 28-Aug-09 13:02:39

Thanks clucka doodle - I have to say - I would like a couple of bantams! - just want to know that these are healthy first before I introduce anyone else!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now