Talk

Advanced search

A couple of questions from a possible chicken newbie

(8 Posts)
justanothertenminutes Fri 21-Aug-09 12:09:08

I will hopefully be getting some chickens for the back garden & was hoping that someone may be able to answer the following questions:
Are there any health risks involved with keeping chickens? (DS is 14 mths)Have tried looking on the internet, but havent found anything.
We have a brick built shed - could they stay in that overnight & then a run for the daytime when we are not about?
How many is best? Does it matter? looking at 3 or four
Any comments/suggestions gratefully received!
TIA

LaurieFairyCake Fri 21-Aug-09 12:25:36

There are no health risks

Your child will only taste chicken shit once grin

Yes to the shed and run. We had 2 chickens for five years. I would love to get more now - I miss mine, they had wonderful characters.

BroodyChook Fri 21-Aug-09 12:29:00

No health risks, apart from normal hand washing required etc, that I know of. As long as your accomodation is secure against predators, it'll be fine. It's recommended to keep a minimum of three hens, so that if one dies you're not left with a lone hen. They really do need company. Go for it, chickens are fab!

Cluckadoodledoo Fri 21-Aug-09 12:31:52

As above!

Get the most you can ie 4 rather than 3! we started with 2 and now have 4.

Chooks are brill do it!

justanothertenminutes Fri 21-Aug-09 12:34:35

Ooooh, getting stupidly excited now!!!! grin Someone has suggested getting ex-battery hens, is this a good idea? ie sounds wonderful but will i get eggs still? or are they old birds?

Cluckadoodledoo Fri 21-Aug-09 12:40:23

We have 2 ex batts and they are our best layers! They are only kept for a year in captivity then usually go to the (whispers quietly)nugget factory unless rescued.

Ours were really sad forlorn looking things when we got them but grew back feathers within 2 months.

1 started laying within a month the other took 3 months but so rewarding.

Plus they are much more affectionate than my black rocks.

The BHWT are excellent

justanothertenminutes Fri 21-Aug-09 12:50:27

Sounds great, will look at their website. Thanks

becklespeckle Fri 28-Aug-09 14:38:27

I got 3 ex-batts at the weekend from Little Hen Rescue who are based near Norwich and they are fab. They are fairly well feathered although a little skinny but have settled in really well. We had one egg on Sunday afternoon (the day we got them) and have had another 10 since!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now