Talk

Advanced search

should chickens be eating meat?

(3 Posts)
crazycanuck Sun 16-Aug-09 00:29:31

hello all, a question for all you knowledgeable keepers of chickens! My MIL keeps chickens and kindly offers us eggs whenever she has enough to spare. however she feeds them meat, as in leftovers from Sunday roasts (pork, beef, even chicken too I think). Now I know chickens are omnivores (plus I saw one do some terrible things to a mouse once) and I have heard that they will cannibalise each other (though surely only when really stressed?), but it can't be good to purposefully feed them meat can it? I have tried to avoid taking eggs from her since I discovered this but tend to have to fend off my SIL's incredulity that I'm buying eggs while sidestepping the issue of why I'm buying them instead of taking MIL's. So are my fears well founded, or am I just being paranoid?

poshwellies Sun 16-Aug-09 00:33:35

No

Insects etc are fine for chickens (au natural) but no, you shouldn't be feeding chooks bloody sunday roasts-the vegs are fine but NOT the meat!!!!!!

LilyBolero Sun 16-Aug-09 00:34:54

I don't give mine meat, but I think the eggs are probably ok - chickens do wolf down slugs and worms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now