Talk

Advanced search

Lost a hen on first evening.

(19 Posts)
Lilliput Mon 27-Jul-09 22:49:43

We got our chickens today. I decided that I wanted to put them to bed before settling down to watch a movie. We hadn't clipped their wings yet and one managed to get into next doors garden and after a wild 'goose' chase there is no sign of her. What do you reckon our chances are of seeing her again are? The kids will be upset in the morning.

GentleOtter Mon 27-Jul-09 22:52:16

Check in any trees or bushes - she will be roosting.

Lilliput Mon 27-Jul-09 22:55:39

We have spent ages looking, I'm hoping someone will spot her tomorrow.

hmc Mon 27-Jul-09 23:01:11

When you first get them, you are meant to keep them shut in - enclosed in the chicken run etc for at least a few days, so that they become habitually accustomed to roosting in their new home.

hmc Mon 27-Jul-09 23:01:34

Hope she turns up for you

GentleOtter Mon 27-Jul-09 23:02:57

I hope you are able to find her Lilliput but I'm sure she won't have strayed too far away. Perhaps she might come in the morning when the others are being fed.

Lilliput Mon 27-Jul-09 23:04:31

We were trying to get her in the house but she got over the fence and then the whole thing turned into a farce. The other two have now had their wings clipped.

Lilliput Mon 27-Jul-09 23:05:57

Our wise chicken whisperer friend reckons the sound of the other two hens will lure her back. I'm not so sure as she had only been in the run 3 hours when she escaped. She won't know where home is yet.

GentleOtter Mon 27-Jul-09 23:09:14

Complete sympathy - we had this with a jungle fowl who took off on day one but never strayed too far away. Six years later she comes close enough for feed but is a wily one to try and catch. There can be something very unsettling when you have beaks and claws very close to your eyes.

hmc Mon 27-Jul-09 23:10:15

Not likely to find her at night, as Gentle says she will be roosting on a tree branch or hiding in a bush or something - but there is every possibility you will spot her tomorrow and may be able to lure her back, perhaps with a trail of enticing food.

LaurieFairyCake Mon 27-Jul-09 23:11:03

We also 'lost' our chickens one night only to find them roosting on top of the barbecue silently - you need to look up 'high' - as high as 5 feet or so.

GentleOtter Mon 27-Jul-09 23:11:07

Oh and make a fuss at feed time - lots of 'choop choop noises. <gets shot for being a loon>

Lilliput Mon 27-Jul-09 23:13:05

Thanks for the encouragment, I'll keep you posted and will try not to worry about her tonight.

Lilliput Tue 28-Jul-09 10:28:36

Well, she has not made her way back to our garden and dh is being a pain and refuses to look for her. It's a real labyrinth of gardens round here so unless someone finds and catches her I think that's it.

hmc Tue 28-Jul-09 19:05:39

sad

DaisymooSteiner Tue 28-Jul-09 19:08:22

Might be worth knocking on some doors nearby to see if anyone has seen her. We had the same thing with a little bantam cockerel and he turned up the next day in the garden of a house 4 doors down. Happily the bloke who lives there works for the RSPB so knows about catching birds and guessed it was ours!

Lilliput Tue 28-Jul-09 20:32:23

Dh knocked on a few doors this afternoon. It has been torrential rain pretty much all day so she has probably kept herself pretty hidden. He also went to a guy who has lots of ducks and chickens down the road incase someone finds her and thinks it's his. We'll see.

Lilliput Thu 30-Jul-09 21:08:37

A neighbour a couple of gardens away said he saw her. We quickly went over there and she was sunning herself. She saw us and legged it into a huge beech hedge. She was so bloody fast we couldn't find her. We searched for about an hour and worked out where she had been by scratch marks etc. My 'chicken' friend thinks she may well just turn up in our garden agoin if we're lucky. I have left atrail of food from a gap under the fence where she got out.

oliviasmama Thu 30-Jul-09 21:27:47

She sounds a fiesty little devil....expect to see her in her own time, not yours.

Sounds a character!

Goods luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now