Talk

Advanced search

Really thin shells...what to do?

(4 Posts)
misspollysdolly Wed 15-Jul-09 17:06:16

Both of my laying hens are laying less often at the moment, but I'm not too worried about them as they are probably due a moult sometime fairly soon. However, one of them has started laying extremely fragile eggs, the shell of which is usually broken by the time the egg has been laid and certainly break before she leaves the laying compartment of her coop - so frustrating! What am I doing wrong or what do I need to do to rectify the situation...? Need to sort it out as I am running short of eggs and may have to buy my first shop-bought eggs in nearly a year - eek!

badmammajamma Wed 15-Jul-09 18:35:29

Have they got some of that grit stuff? I think its broken up sea shells which puts calcium into their diets an helps them break down thier food? Or you can bake some egg shells (if you have any left!) then crush them and put in a bowl for them to help themselves.

Peacocksuit Wed 15-Jul-09 19:07:04

limestone flour is good - you can buy it from most horsey shops.

Having said that, one of my exbatts was around 3years old & her egg laying was very hit & miss.

I mixed it up with porridge + cod liver oil...yumyum !

GrapefruitMoon Wed 15-Jul-09 19:11:11

My grandmother always gave her hens egg shells - she just used to chuck them into their yard, didn't bother baking & crushing them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now