Talk

Advanced search

getting staretd with chickens - course

(7 Posts)
overthemill Tue 07-Jul-09 11:28:27

We've kept chickens for about 10 years now and have got loads of friends started with their own 'flock'.

I'm thinking about running a course on backyard chicken keeping - for people who want a few in their garden for fun, not professionals!

Opinions, please! What sort of things would you wish you'd known, would like to ask about? I'm thinking 3 hours max, tea and cakes provided, families welcome, dogs too!
And how much do you think is ok to charge - is £45 pp too much?
thanks!

overthemill Tue 07-Jul-09 11:29:31

btw, this is nt me touting for trade here, i just want your opinions on content you'd want included at this stage

alibubbles Tue 07-Jul-09 17:34:28

I went on one through Omlet, it was 2 hours, cost £10 including egg sandwiches and cake and a goody bag.

It was good for me as an absolute beginner.

midnightexpress Tue 07-Jul-09 17:39:00

Oooh, I'd like to keep chickens but for some reason find the idea a bit daunting, so things I'd like to know if I went on a course:

how to handle them (they're so flappy)
fox-proofing
illnesses and how to deal with them
feeding
hygiene basics
keeping them in a run vs letting them out and about - what would I need to know/consider?
breeds - advantages/disadvantages
where to buy
erm, what to do if they get past it and you are not a wringer of necks?

sarah293 Tue 07-Jul-09 17:39:17

Message withdrawn

bramblebooks Tue 07-Jul-09 18:24:58

I'm going to be doing them through omlet and will be charging £10 - £15 (to include gluten free cakes made with the hens' eggs!)

overthemill Tue 07-Jul-09 20:10:27

thanks for your replies. i'm also down to do the omlet ones - they are fairly basic it seems to me and the ones i was thinking of would include lots more info and be longer.

iI would include tea/coffee/homemade cakes and a booklet of egg recipes! But also lots oof really useful info that people seem to nneed.
any more ideas - i do know price might be an issue - i aim to be very sensibly priced

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now