Talk

Advanced search

Is it 'normal' for chickens to stop laying in hot/humid weather?

(7 Posts)
stealthsquiggle Mon 29-Jun-09 15:15:40

..only our egg count seems to have gone down drastically over the last week. I don't have time to hunt all over the (large) garden, but I don't think they are laying somewhere other than in the nest box - I left them in their run until 1pm today and still only got 1 egg and 1 soft shell between 4 of them (soft shell not unusual - we have one crap layer, but usually get 3 a day from the others)

All suggestions welcome.

madlentileater Mon 29-Jun-09 21:08:05

no suggestions, but ours are definitely not laying as well as usual.

stealthsquiggle Mon 29-Jun-09 21:13:48

Not just ours, then... The chicken-sitters (aka my parents) are not going to be very impressed when we go away grin

DaisymooSteiner Mon 29-Jun-09 21:16:28

Ours aren't laying well. I remember an old farmer telling me a couple of years ago that it was common for hens to stop laying so well during the 'dog days' of the summer (although dog days don't normally start till July iirc)

madlentileater Mon 29-Jun-09 21:18:18

when we had our first lot, they had only just come into lay when we went away, and they stopped laying completely, our poor neighbour got a raw deal.

stealthsquiggle Mon 29-Jun-09 21:53:42

Decisions, decisions....assuming the chooks do not sort themselves out, do I tell my parents (thus decreasing their enthusiasm for chicken-sitting) or keep quiet (risking them worrying about what they have done wrong)? smile

madlentileater Mon 29-Jun-09 21:56:38

well, if they are laying something I think I'd just be vague about expected 'yields' then they won't worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now