Talk

Advanced search

What to put underfoot for chickens?

(7 Posts)
LadyPinkofPinkerton Thu 18-Jun-09 20:42:38

Hi, I'm a new chicken keeper. I am splashing out on an Eglu.

I have an old vegetable patch that I am want to put the chickens on. It is currently overgorwn with weeds. Would it be okay to just strim the weeds very short and have the run on that. Or does it need to be proper grass, or wood chippings?

Concepta Thu 18-Jun-09 21:42:38

Bumping this for you - I would be interested to know this too - we are thinking of getting some chickens in near future.

bramblebooks Thu 18-Jun-09 22:39:54

Believe me lady pink, the chickens will mash it up very well for you. Within a fortnight they'll have stripped it and turned it over two inches deep at least - then you can do what I did, move the eglu and plant brassicas!!

Seriously though, there might be pix on my profile of my eglu in the veg garden. I use hardwood chips from b&q in the run.

Try omlet forum as well, there are loads of threads there on what to put in the run.

I've now got an eglu cube as well - they're addictive little beasties!

LadyPinkofPinkerton Fri 19-Jun-09 16:07:03

Thank you for your reply Bramblebooks.

I suppose that I coudl put them on the weeds til they make them disappear then put them some wood chips down.

How often do you change your wood chips?

vjg13 Fri 19-Jun-09 19:23:17

I put mine on the lawn and move them and re seed the lawn every few days!

For the autumn and winter I put them on hembiose (stable bedding) on the patio which soaks the poo up like magic smile and I only change about once a month.

bramblebooks Fri 19-Jun-09 21:26:48

I rake regularly and add more woodchip when the original stuff is so kicked out that there are too many bare patches. A regular top dressing of Stalosan F helps.

LadyPinkofPinkerton Sat 20-Jun-09 08:28:30

Thank you so much all for your help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now