Talk

Advanced search

How to teach chicks where to sleep.

(4 Posts)
gscrym Thu 18-Jun-09 08:10:21

My friend has just got some chicks. They seem happy and shes just started to put them outside in the coop to sleep. They don't want to sleep in the nesting boxes. They sleep in the metal tray under the perches (I think that's what she told me. She's really worried they're cold. They seem to be snuggled up together and don't look very warm. Is there anything she can do to train them to sleep in the nice warm nesting boxes. Thanks.

GentleOtter Thu 18-Jun-09 08:46:13

She could put them in to the nesting boxes when it is dark, shut the door then let them out in the morning. They will soon get used to going in themselves.
They puff their feathers up when they feel cold and when they squish up together it can feel quite warm.

gscrym Thu 18-Jun-09 09:58:19

I'll tell her. She had tried putting the box they were sleeping in in the coop but they still slept in the metal tray thing.

LittleB Fri 19-Jun-09 21:29:01

They shouldn't be sleeping in the nesting boxes anyway, the nest boxes are for laying eggs in, they should be sleeping on their perches. When I first got mine I had to go out every evening and sit them on the perch but they've got the message now. I'm surprised she has a bare metal tray under the perches, I put bedding in the house and nest box to absorb their dropping and for comfort. I use woodchip but straw is also good.
I doubt they are cole this time of the year but she wants to make sure the house is warm and draft free in the winter.
They will learn where to sleep if she keeps showing them, although apparaetly some heavier birds don't like to perch and just need a base with plenty of bedding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now