Talk

Advanced search

what do you do with the weekly clean out stuff?

(8 Posts)
oopsagain Sat 13-Jun-09 08:26:56

we got our 3 ex battery chickens last saturday
They have a lovely run and a little wooden arc.

I'm going to clean the arc today- so i'll hose out and that will go down the drain.
But what do you usually do with all the poo and bedding?
We've got a bale of straw in the main run whihc they have as bedding too. They peck at the straw and jump on it too- it seems to eb a winner for them.

We live in town - i really hadn't thought this bit through to be honest!

apart from that, they are fine. We've had 2 eggs every day, but not yest or so far today... is that normal?

madlentileater Sat 13-Jun-09 20:03:14

compost

bramblebooks Sat 13-Jun-09 21:02:05

compost grin and tbh whilst it's hotter I've been cleaning out twice weekly due to the risk of flies. ew. ew.ew.

any pictures?

oopsagain Sat 13-Jun-09 22:51:40

no piccis, but also no compost heap either.
They are funny, there's Mrs Floppy Hat, Dora the explorer and the third one doesn't ahve a name we've all agreed yet...

bramblebooks Sun 14-Jun-09 10:10:03

bag it and offer it on freecycle. Gardeners will love you.

oopsagain Sun 14-Jun-09 14:44:11

funny that
just joined freecycle and posted somethimng for picking up
but i don't know how to see if anyone has replied grin

pinkmagic1 Mon 15-Jun-09 10:11:22

Got to admit, I just shove it all in a bin bag and put it out with the other rubbish!

LittleB Mon 15-Jun-09 13:39:29

I compost mine. Do you have a neighbour who'd like it, it makes great compost. My chickens aren't always consistant with thier laying, I have 5 and get 3-5 eggs per day. Daisy, a light sussex, lays most days but gradually gets later in the day with her eggs, laying as late as 4pm, until she then misses a day then starts off again in the morning!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now